Monday, June 9, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What Are You Reading?  Be sure and stop by to participate or see what others are reading and recommending this week.

My reading took a nose last week due to preparations for a writing camp that I am working at this week.  But I did manage to get two books read which I want to share.

Duke by Kirby Larson

I hate to admit this, but Duke is the first book written by Kirby that I have read - although I have Hattie Big Sky on my TBR pile.

This book is about a boy and his dog and the effects that war has on both of them. This is great middle-grade novel which would appeal to both boys and girls, but would strongly push towards my reluctant boys.  I am a heart fiction reader, and I would have liked for this one to tug a little harder, but it is a wonderful story about the sacrifices one makes during a time of war.

4 out of 5 stars


Gifts from the Enemy by Trudy Ludwig

I was blessed to be given a signed copy of this next book by the author.  This new book by Trudy Ludwig is a wonderful book for all ages. It is a true story about the life of Holocaust survivor Alter Wiener and the acts of kindness of a German woman.  If you enjoyed reading Ludwig's The Invisible Boy, then you will love Gifts from the Enemy.  I will be writing a full review which will include links to teaching resources soon.

5 out of 5 stars
What's up for this week - I am about half way through The Fault in Our Stars.


Happy Reading!



5 comments:

  1. Duke was okay, but my readers who wants books about WWII always want ones set where the war is, not the homefront. I did like Larson's book about the Japanese Dolls, and liked Hattie, although the sequel was meh. Looks like you have a lot if good books that up you are working through this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up about Ludwigs new book. It sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this title by Trudy. I adore her books. I haven't read Duke but LOVE Kirby - both as a person and as an author! Hattie - both titles - amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read Kirby Larson's novels. I hope that I get to read The Fault in our Stars before I watch the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Fault In Our Stars! It was students' hands-down favorite book from my Adolescent Lit course this spring. I didn't know Trudy Ludwig had a new title out--thanks for sharing! I liked Invisible Boy quite a bit and this new book sounds intriguing. I was a bit bored by Hattie Big Sky but I did like Larson's picture book, Two Bobbies.

    ReplyDelete