It is April, and I am joining many others in celebrating National Poetry Month. This month many people turn to their gardens and landscapes and play in the dirt. I'd rather do a little playing with words. This month I will be creating found poems by taking words, phrases, and lines from other texts and rearranging them into a "literary collage" with a whole new meaning.
Heidi has the Poetry Friday Round-Up this week. Check out My Juicy Little Universe for this week's poetry offerings.
Today I used a combination of Tali Mali's metaphor dice and an extended metaphor "lesson" from Penny Kittle and Kelly Gallagher's Day 10 Video to create a found poem.
I "rolled the dice" and chose a tangible and intangible word. Using the extend metaphor example from Kelly and Penny's video, I made a list of how love is a drum. This one went through many revisions during my Teach Write writing time, but here is how it turned out.
|Picture from Pixaby|
This week also marks the beginning of the Kidlit Progressive Poem, which is being organized by Margaret Simon at Reflections on the Teche. A different poet adds a line each day for the month of April. For the first time, I am participating and will be adding line 15 (yes, that scares me just a little!). You find the poem's trail below.
1. Donna Smith at Mainely Write
2. Irene Latham at Live Your Poem
3. Jone MacCulloch at deowriter
4. Liz Steinglass
5. Buffy Silverman
6. Kay McGriff at A Journey Through the Pages
7. Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core
8. Tara Smith at Going to Walden
9. Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy Link
10. Matt Forrest Esenwine at Radio, Rhythm and Rhyme
11. Janet Fagel hosted at Reflections on the Teche
12. Linda Mitchell at A Word Edgewise
13. Kat Apel at Kat Whiskers
14. Margaret Simon at Reflections on the Teche
15. Leigh Anne Eck at A Day in the Life
16. Linda Baie at Teacher Dance
17. Heidi Mordhorst at My Juicy Little Universe
18. Mary Lee Hahn at A Year of Reading
19. Tabitha at Opposite of Indifference
20. Rose Capelli at Imagine the Possibilities
21. Janice Scully at Salt City Verse
22. Julieanne Harmatz at To Read, To Write, To Be
23. Ruth at There is no such thing at a God-forsaken town
24. Christie Wyman at Wondering and Wandering
25. Amy at The Poet Farm
26. Dani Burtsfield at Doing the Work that Matters
27. Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge
29. Fran at lit bits and pieces
20. Michelle Kogan