Sunday, March 31, 2024

Beginnings and Endings 26/31

Image by Hans from Pixabay

Another March comes to a close, and I am reminded of beginnings and ends. Each finish line becomes a new starting line in races, in relationships, in life, and even in writing challenges. 

The month of writing stories ends, and the month of writing poems begins.

The connections between slicers ends, and the connections between poets begins.

The words stacked in stories ends, and the words beating with rhythm and rhyme begins.

Looking for the small things in my ordinary day ends and looking for small things in the sky begins.

I missed five days in the challenge for the first time in eleven years. I am disappointed but not devastated. I captured life as it happened. I watched old seasons in my life change and come to an end, and I watched new and exciting ones emerge. 

And isn't that really what finish lines are for?

 

Thank you to the writers at Two Writing Teachers for creating this safe place for us to meet, to share, and to grow as writers. Thank you to my Teach Write community for supporting me, celebrating with me, and holding me accountable every week during check-in. Thank you to the slicing community for reading my words and letting me know that they somehow touched you or inspired you in some small way. 

My next starting line!



In April, I am going to do my best to join many others in celebrating National Poetry Month by reading, writing, sharing, and celebrating poetry each day. On April 8th we will experience a solar eclipse, and my hometown is the longest totality in the state of Indiana. We are expecting several tens of thousands of visitors to my town of 17,000. I thought it only fitting to write about sharing my sky with them.

10 comments:

  1. I wrote a final post on a very similar line of thought - every ending is a beginning. Yes, I am doing poetry each day in April, too. Hasn't it been wonderful to write in this community all month? Congrats on 31 days!! I have enjoyed your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your related writing to a finish line, as well as our lives. I thought it was so beautiful. I will need to keep that with me as a reminder that things must come to an end AND new opportunities emerge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also I am not sure why it is putting anonymous. My name is blogginbecky12!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be participating in National Poetry Month, too. First up tomorrow… reading my poems at Artsgarden in Indy along with two other poets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect ending to a great month of writing. Happy Poetry month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect ending to a great month of writing. Happy Poetry month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your piece very much. Aren't we always starting and ending and starting again if we are lucky enough?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reminded of Maureen Ingram's post today with endings always leading to new beginnings. Have a great April! And what a fun plan you have for National Poetry Month! The shared sky. I will be in an area of about 40% eclipsed. It would be fascinating to share the sky with all those thousands of people, and ooh and ahhh at the darkness. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I reflected on your poem, I was thinking of how my writing has changed over the last 12 years of slicing as my family and professional lives have changed. You are wise in thinking about the changes as a normal part of the flow of life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful slice, that shows the continuity of life's journeys. It reminds me of the saying, "When one door closes, a better one opens."

    ReplyDelete