Thursday, March 7, 2024

A Gathering of Grandkid Goodness 7/31


I am delighted to once again be joining other bloggers for Spiritual Journey Thursday. I missed February (this post is part of the reason why) but I am glad to be back this month. Today's journey is hosted by Ramona at Pleasure from the Page. Please feel free to join us!

Before I became a teacher, I was a stay-at-home and a quilter. I quilted with my husband's grandmother and sister. We spent hours laughing and talking at the quilting frame while my daughter Megan played underneath. 

About 25 years ago, we began making picture quilts where we had pictures transferred onto fabric and then sewn into quilt blocks. Our first one was for the 50th wedding anniversary of my in-laws. It was beautiful.

We also made one for my grandma. This one featured a baby picture and a current picture of each one of her 18 grandchildren. That was such a special Christmas as no one had ever seen a quilt like this before.

Many years later, dementia took over my grandma's life, and she moved in with my aunt. I assumed she took the quilt with her. Sometime after she died, I asked about the quilt, and the search began.

My aunt looked all through Grandma's things. 

Nothing. 

My aunt looked all through her closets and drawers in her house. 

Nothing.

The quilt could not be found. We assumed that sometime during the move to my aunt's house, the quilt must have been accidently thrown away. It was probably stored safely in a box or bag, and someone had mistaken it for trash or a donation. 

After many years now, I have come to accept that it was gone.

Over President's Day weekend, my siblings and I packed up my mom's house because we had just recently put her in a nursing home. We each took a room, and I was in the back bedroom with my nephew. Going through a closet that had extra bedding in it, I looked down and I saw corner of a blanket.

"No, this can't be!"

I pulled it out and started screaming. The quilt was at my mom's house all these years. My mom now has dementia, so I will never know how or when she got it.  I am assuming that since my mom is the oldest of her siblings, she took it and didn't remember.

I now have the quilt, but what a day it was:  a gathering of grandkid goodness!




Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 


 

17 comments:

  1. What an amazing and wonderful discovery! Also, are you still quilting? Handmade family treasures are the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an extraordinary quilt! I am so glad you found it. I hope it is a balm to all the loss, helping your mother with dementia, clearing out her home, and transitioning her to a nursing home - I lived this, and know how hard it is. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel happy for you that you found the quilt. Such an amazing family treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing that you discovered the quilt. What an extraordinary piece it is. I know it will be comforting to have it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful! What a beautiful quilt. So glad you now have it. What a nice gift to find while helping your mother move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful ending to your story. Quilts are treasures to be passed down. A picture quilt holds so many memories and tells so many stories. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story and beautiful quilt. I'm so glad you found it because I quilt a little and I know the work and love that goes into making one, and what a treasure it is now for you and your family. Enjoy this and all God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is beautiful! I am so glad that you found this very special family heirloom after thinking it was long lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The packing, moving, losing memory is so hard and yet, here in your hands, a treasure. We found treasures, too. Some we didn't even know existed, like a pearl ring from my godmother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a bright spot in this journey! I was trying not to be hopeful as I started to read about the missing quilt. I’m so glad you found it. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, happy day! It's a beautiful treasure - truly a comfort(er). I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leigh Anne, what a thrilling discovery in the midst of this difficult task. If I understand correctly, you're one of the grand kids that was gathered on this quilt. Such a gift of love and what a treasure to discover it after all this time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness Leigh Anne, your story gave me goosebumps. I'm thrilled that you found this lovely keepsake quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness Leigh Anne, your story gave me goosebumps. I'm thrilled that you found this lovely keepsake quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gift, Leigh Anne! All the goodness that went into the quilt's creation and the passing along of it, and then finding it now. So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leigh Anne, this is a wonderful slice of life with family mystery. It is amazing how we place items away and don't remember where we placed them. Your quilt making group are talented and I love the family memento tucked right into the quilt. I feel your delight. My Uncle passed away last year and my sister has been cleaning out the boxes on top of boxes to determine what he tucked away. My Nonnie's beautiful bodice and gloves from Italy were in one box. At least now, it is a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, so wonderful! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete