Monday, March 18, 2024

A Mixed-Up Kind of Day 16/31

For the past 32 years, I could count on two hands the number of times my husband and I have NOT eaten pizza on a Friday night. Before teaching and when I was a stay-at-home mom, I could always count on not having to cook on a Friday. And even when I started teaching 17 years ago, I would come home from a long week knowing that pizza was on the menu.

My spring break started on Friday, and my daughter and I went to Tennessee for a long weekend to visit my sister. On our way home today, Megan asked, "Think Dad would want pizza tonight? I know it's not Friday, but pizza just sounds good."

"It sounds good to me too because I sure don't want to cook when we get home."

I texted him, and it was settled--pizza it was.

Isn't it funny how getting out of a routine can mix us up? Sitting down to write this slice, it feels like Friday. Pizza and a fire in the fireplace all add up to a Friday. It certainly feels like a mixed-up kind of day, and I know with six days left of break, this mixed-up feeling will continue. 

But I'll take it!

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

7 comments:

  1. Ha ha, yes, you describe that feeling well. Pizza means Friday except tonight it doesn’t. But then, you say, spring Break mixes everything up anyway. Love the line ‘but I’ll take it!’

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a pizza place that kept track of the number of times we had ordered pizza when the kids were young. This was back when I was in grad school and pizza was the go-to for kids and babysitter when I had night classes. I never liked seeing that number. Your pic makes me want pizza even though I've visited my favorite Seattle place twice already during this visit. I hope you enjoy every delicious bite. Hooray to feeling like it's Friday when you still have six days of break to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the weekend that is coming your way if today is Friday. Take the time to rest and relax over break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Routine does settle in...but I'm thinking, "Pizza twice in one week!" Woo hoo, because surely you'll still have it on Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A change in routine is just sometimes needed. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changes in our routines are sometimes a welcome to the humdrum of life, Leigh Anne. I like how you compared your day to pizza Friday. It has a cozy feel to life. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pizza Fridays were my favorite! A night without cooking. And now I want pizza for dinner! Really enjoyed this slice and how well you capture that feeling of mixed-up days and routines during break.

    ReplyDelete