Thursday, March 21, 2024

Collage Bookmarks 19/31

"Creative people do not see things merely for what they are; 
they see them for what they can be." Julie Israel

A few years ago, I suffered from notebook envy. I belong to several writing groups, and I was always envious of their beautiful notebook pages. The artwork, the colors, the drawings. I knew I could never be that creative.

Until I found collaging. How hard could it be to tear paper up and glue it back in a different way? Well, it is harder than it looks. I began watching paper crafters on YouTube, and I was hooked. 

I began collecting all kinds of paper, stickers, and ephemera. And my creative life found a new spark.

Besides collaging in my journals and notebooks, I enjoy making bookmarks. Come along as I take you through the process of one I made tonight (which is why this slice is so late!).


I start with a premade blank bookmark.


I sort through my paper collection and find 3-4 different prints. I tear them in different shapes and lay them on top of the bookmark. I arrange and arrange and arrange.


I like the vintage, grunge look, so I ink the edges of the torn paper with Tim Holtz Distress Ink before gluing them down. My favorite in Vintage Photo.


Here is a close-up of what that looks like.



After gluing them down, I trim the edges, being careful not to cut into the bookmark. I round the edges and ink again all around the outside. 


Next is finding the ephemera to place on it. For me, this is the hardest part. It seems like I can never find pieces that look right together. I have been told collages don't have to make sense; you just keep adding and adding.


Then I top it off with a saying. For some reason, I can never get these on straight! And yes, I did take this one off and redo it.

Collaging is something that brings me peace and joy. I love the quiet time, the sound of the paper being torn, and the challenge of making it all come together--to see what it could be!

*If anyone reading would like one of my bookmarks, I would be happy to send one to you!

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 


7 comments:

  1. I treasure my Leigh Anne Eck original bookmark. I love this look at your process. Your creativity pleases my aesthetic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn. I think my process has gotten better since those first ones, so I may have to send you a new one! ;)

      Delete
  2. OMG! I love your bookmark! Seeing it emerge and watching your process makes me want to create! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh Anne, I love playing with paper and different items to make a collage. I would love to see one of your bookmarks that uses ephemera. You can send me a photo if you like. Thanks for showing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to the notebook envy moments. I kind of envy that it led you to artistic pursuits with the joy of creating beautiful bookmarks. I tried using at least stickers to make my journals "cuter", gave that up. The journals continue to be a mess, my beautiful mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the happy recipient of a Leigh Anne original bookmark. And bookmarks are one of my favorite things to collect. I loved seeing your process. Who knew that inking was part of the process?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this window into a way you've found to be creative. The bookmark is beautiful and I loved watching it come to life. I also have creative notebook envy.... maybe I need to find a way to channel that through learning how to collage!

    ReplyDelete