Saturday, March 23, 2024

From Bang to Bummer 20/31

Why am I always so ambitious in January when it comes to setting literacy goals and joining challenges and creating lists of possibilities? Then February comes around and I begin to struggle. 

And March...well if it wasn't for the Slice of Life March Challenge, I'm not sure where I would be.

One of my goals, or mantras, for this year was to "Read More in '24." January started out with a bang, and I thought, "Ok, I can do this."

But sadly, my reading life has hit the bummer stage. I went to my Goodreads account and saw where I have only read 6 books so far this year and I am five books behind my goal (although I have read two others but have not logged them).

Reading has always been my escape from the complexities of life. I am living through some challenging "seasons" right now, so I know I need a better escape plan. While shopping with my daughter this past weekend, I bought several books (that I didn't need!) and have a few more coming on Monday.

Now if only buying books could transfer to reading them, I'd be back in that BANG stage!

Here's what I'm currently reading:



Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 


10 comments:

  1. My goal was to read a different genre between Jan and March and have failed miserably. Still reading my romance novels - sssshhh! Don't worry you will get your reading groove back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That you have read 6 books with all you have going is a WIN! You have not failed!!! I'd say, let go of the number. There isn't a magic number. Read one. Then one more. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is some satisfaction in buying books. I guess once you are reading you are still on a roll. All the best with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you know you "need a better escape plan." Reading does help you escape and tune out all the challenges out there. I, too, like to buy books - makes me feel like I am committing to that book. I love when I'm so into a book, but then when it's over, I'm sort of lost and have trouble getting back. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on the track, setting a goal, already reading 6 books, and getting the materials. But I actually clicked to read as I started the year reading and then got distracted by company visits and being sick. I'm hoping I read a book during Spring Break. Fingers cross we both get lost in a book real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I can relate in so many ways, but I've recently found a new passion for reading because I'm running a writing workshop for adults and also hosting a book club. I'm reading with a purpose to take note of writing styles and either highlight them in the workshop or bring them up in book club. I hope this lasts, fingers crossed. I hope you find your way to reading joy again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book you are reading now looks interesting. I am also quite behind and also blaming it on this writing challenge : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to cut back on my reading due to cataracts, but then I remembered I could enlarge the font on my Kindle and then my reading life grew, exponentially. Then, I ha cataract surgery and it changed everything for a while, until I got my new reading glasses. It is always a challenge, but reading is SO MUCH BETTER for my head than Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve been having a hard time starting books when I’m done with one this year … I’m not sure why! I have to just make myself start, but it’s hard! I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, the ambitions and optimism of January! I often join far too many challenges and set my numbers goal too high. Though I will say I only set it in my own mind. I would get annoyed if Goodreads were telling me I'm behind! Some seasons of life are just more challenging for reading. I sometimes find during those seasons that I need to be reading a different kind of book to truly stay engaged and committed to my reading life. I hope your new books will be just what you need to kickstart that reading!

    ReplyDelete