Monday, March 4, 2024

Stop and Enjoy a Spring Day 4/31

Don't you love when you read a slice and it sets you off onto a path of new discovery? That is what happened when I read Jill Bless' post, "A Saturday Treat."

She shared how she is reading a new bookThe Comfort of Crows: A Backyard Year, taking time on Saturday mornings to savor this writer's essays. After I searched the book on Amazon and read the sample, I realized the first essay was a great mentor text. 

Here in Indiana, the weekend weather was spring-like, so I took advantage of it and sat outside and noticed my surroundings to create my little slice for today.

"Wherever you are, stop what you're doing."

Stop and look at the daffodils forming buds at the end of their long leaves.

Stop and ponder the warmth of the spring-like temperatures.

Stop and listen to the little neighbor girl as she squeals with delight at riding her bike with training wheels.

Stop and consider your dinner choices of grilled burgers or pork chops.

Stop and peer into the landscape to see which perennials are poking their heads through the soil.

Stop and notice the dirt on the car left over from last week's weird winter mix.

Stop and contemplate the idiosyncrasies of Mother Nature.

Stop and think how lucky I am to have this beautiful day to enjoy.

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 


8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book. I have to admit as I was sitting outside drinking my coffee I saw all the dirt and damage the winter weather had left behind. This would be much more positive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mentor text that you’ve provided and I’m definitely going to try this out for one of my slices and I’m gonna check out the book. I love the moment you’ve captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to seize the moment to stop and ________ I could hear the neighbor girl squeal, and maybe smell those burgers or was it pork chops? It was a beautiful day up here, also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful, Leigh Anne. You had me right beside you enjoying a beautiful spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A refreshing slice. The repetition of the word 'stop' has a lot of power in appreciating our world. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh Anne, I appreciate gratitude you bring to the slice. Signs of spring are nature's gift to the world. Enjoy life as you made me think I need to pause and do that also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and structure! Such a lovely post. I looked up The Comfort of Crows and read that sample. I hope to use this for a future slice. Thanks Leigh Anne and Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh Anne, I love this. I am not joining the March daily SOL because of this idea. On Friday, 3/1, I went for a walk and did just that. I then came home and wrote in my journal the myriad sounds I heard. Just the sounds alone filled two pages! I am in awe of those of you who are taking the challenge to write every day this month, but I'm saving mine for July, so I can soak up everything around me (now, while I need it in the midst of the school year) instead. I hope you are able to stop and listen like this for a few moments every day!

    ReplyDelete