Sunday, June 5, 2016

Reimagining My Teaching Space

Digilit Sunday

Today I am participating in Digital Learning Sunday with Margaret Simon at Reflections on the Teche.  This week Margaret has encouraged us to write about reimagining space or decluttering. 

This morning when I received the notification from Margaret about today's writing idea, I also received an email/newsletter from Jennifer Gonzalez at Cult of Pedagogy titled "The Gut-Level Teacher Reflection."  Both ideas have some similarities in reimagining my teaching space. Here is the link to Jennifer's blog post and podcast.  


In this post, Jennifer leads us through questions to help reflect or "reimagine" five areas of our teaching life:  classroom, planning, students, co-workers, and professional practice .  After reading and thinking through the questions, were are asked to identify one or two priorities to change.  She states a change may be turning a negative into a positive or "ambiguities that need more investigation." Finally, we create an action plan which addresses each of the priorities.

Jennifer also suggests that the final step be to share it with a friend.  For me, this exercise is looking at my teaching space and areas that certainly could use some reimagining.  I plan to spend some time with this reflection and will write a follow-up post with my action plan.  I hope that you will check out her website, listen to her podcast, create your own action plan, and join me in reimagining our space.

2 comments:

  1. One of the parts I actually enjoy about the return to school is recreating the learning space. Thanks for joining the conversation this week. I will be taking a blogging break for the end of June through July for a trip to Africa. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorting through poetry files and listening to podcasts. I just put one of your poems (June 26, 2013) "Sometimes I sit..." into a file marked poets who blog. I love the imagery in your poem "...the sun slowly closing its droopy eyes..." and your final lines that reference night "...night restores and refreshes my mind, body, and soul..."

    ReplyDelete