Monday, July 2, 2018

Five Year Slicing Anniversary



Five years ago today, I wrote my first slice of life.

I remember starting my blog and hitting publish for the first time.  It was exciting, yet terrifying. I, typically a very private person, was sending my words out into the blogosphere for other people to read.  What in the world was I thinking!

I wrote my first introductory post in April and didn't find the confidence to write another until June, which was when I tried to participate in Kate Messner's Teachers Write. That lasted one day! I began to doubt myself and again, wondered what in the world was I thinking!

Then in July I branched out and wrote my first slice, and my life as a writer was forever changed. I have met some incredible people through this writing community - in my virtual life and in real life. Because of them, I began to see that my words did matter, even on those days when I was the only reader.

My writing and my blog have provided me with so many opportunities. It is through my blog where I realized that to be called a writer, one only has to write.

And I have.

And to think it all started with a silly slice about milk jugs!

Time has a way of slipping by, and the older I get, the faster it goes.  And NO I did not believe that when my grandparents would say those words when I was a child.

I have this quirky way of watching time go by...especially as it relates to school--reading the date on the milk jug.

We go through about three jugs of milk a week at our house and paying attention to the dates is just something that I do.  Those dates have a way of marching through time.  At the end of the school year, I can't wait until I finally see May, then June with the anticipation of summer break.

Last week I grabbed two jugs of milk and I couldn't believe my eyes...JULY8th!  I gasped, my heart started racing and I broke out into a cold sweat (well maybe I just gasped!)  It couldn't be!  I blinked to make sure I was reading it correctly.  Yes, it did say July.  I knew then that it was all down hill from there.  Summer was flying by and not even a jug of milk could stop it.

This week as I timidly approached the refrigerated section and opened the door, I opened one eye and then the other.  Oh no...July 18th!  I slammed the door shut and said, "No thanks, I think I'll try the OTHER store!"


10 comments:

  1. First, thank you for sharing how you began your blogging journey; having just started, this inspires and encourages me to stick with it! Second, I laughed out loud while reading your missive on milk carton dates. As a teacher, these summer months are important, and I feel your pain about seeing July roll around on the calendar. I tell my family that its really the end of my summer; once July ends, I'll be back to school in the blink of an eye! Enjoy the lazy days of July; they don't last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think I might take a little stroll back in time and find my first slice of Life Story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thoughtful reflection on your writing journey...and yes, July always brings a gasp. This year, I have so many school-related meetings this month (and my work calendar year begins on July 31st) that I almost feel like my summer is already over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the interesting people I have gotten to know through the slicing community! And you make me want to go back and check my first slice. I think I started on New Year's Eve, maybe in 2008 or 2009. And such an interesting way to measure the passage of time! You make me wonder how I measure time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy SOL Anniversary! I love this post. I'm grateful you hit publish. This blog and your writing connected us and gave me a wonderful friend! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe-5 years of blogging! Amazing accomplishment! I always look forward to reading your posts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Isn't it great to look back and see how you have grown and know that this writing journey continues?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you! I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those dates on the milk cartons. I never buy milk without thinking you're right there beside me looking at the date too! I love that I was one those commenters on this slice and even more I love that I've met you in person. Congrats on your five year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary!

    ...I know what you mean about dates! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete