Wednesday, January 25, 2023

January Writing Prompts


I participate in a monthly writing challenge with members of the Teach Write Academy. A word list is published before the new month begins to inspire and challenge us to write every day. These word prompts can take me to unexpected places and lead me to untouched memories. But they always inspire writing and help me to write from a place of joy.

The January 16th prompt was the words were "my dream." I used this prompt to write a golden shovel using Marin Luther King Jr.'s words from his "I have a dream" speech. This was my first time writing one and is definitely a form I want to try again.


Drafting a Dream

Looking back through my life’s pages, I
have scribbled memories; I have
words holding hope and a
chapter left unwritten, drafting a dream.


Today's prompt was "this morning," and I chose to write a haiku inspired by our first measureable snowfall of the year. 


this morning's daybreak
playing nature's melody
of snow-filled silence


February's list will be coming out next week. Look for the word list on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. We would love to have you join us! Learn more about The Teach Write Academy.

3 comments:

  1. I love both of these, but especially the haiku celebrating your first measurable snowfall. I need to try to write in response to the words next month since I'm trying to get back in the habit of writing more often before March. You're joining us, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Drafting a dream” - I love those 3 words. Often I think dreams are a set idea and now your words let me see a freedom in them- editing and revising. I am curious what a golden shovel poem is. I will look into it. Also love the idea of winter’s symphony off silence in the haiku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t know why it came up anonymous. It’s Cathy Hutter

      Delete