Monday, May 18, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What Are You Reading?  Be sure and stop by to participate or see what others are reading and recommending this week.

This is my last week of school, so my world has been a little crazy.  I did mange to get two books read along with 100 essays...but I guess that doesn't count!

What I Read this Week

A Handful of Stars by Cynthia Lord

Cynthia Lord writes another touching middle grade novel about a friendship between Lily, a girl from a small-town in Maine, and Salma, a migrant worker.

I come from a small Indiana town which welcomes many migrant workers during the summer and early fall.  I think my students will love the lessons about true friendship and finding a place in which to belong.








In the Best Interest of Students - Staying True to What 
Works in the ELA Classroom by Kelly Gallagher

Last summer I had the privilege to hear Kelly Gallagher speak at the All Write conference in Warsaw, Indiana.  I was so excited to return to school and start some of the ideas I learned.

This book picked up where that conference left off. He explains the strengths and weaknesses of the CCSS and reminds teachers what they need to do in their classroom which is in the best interest of students.  

As I was reading the book, I immediately went back to school and had my students start a writing activity that he discussed.  So his ideas are ones that can be implemented - today!  If you teach ELA in grades 6 - 12, I strongly encourage you to add this to your PD summer read list.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment