Friday, March 12, 2021

A Slice of Reflection #SOSMagic

I wasn't my best this week. I had two incidents where students were critical of my class and my teaching. I didn't react the way I should have. It felt personal. I took it personally. I was shocked they said it because it was unkind and hurtful. 

Then I remembered they are kids, and looking back on the week, they were probably right. My teaching was sucky -- honestly, for about two weeks. The snow days we had in February and Spring Break next week left our curriculum all caddywampus. We were filling in the gaps like we were plugging a sinking boat. We were scrambling and nothing was coherent. They weren't engaged, and that wasn't their fault.

Friday night stretches out before me, leading into a Spring Break week of reflection. I need this time to remember my teaching beliefs and core values and create a plan to get my teaching back on track.

I want to be my best. My students deserve it.


I’m joining an open community of writers over at Sharing Our Stories: Magic in a Blog. If you write (or want to write) just for the magic of it, consider this your invitation to join us. #sosmagic

6 comments:

  1. It's so hard to receive feedback like this, isn't it? I think that most teachers have had days (or weeks!) like this...I certainly have. I am so sorry that it was hurtful and unkind. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it was such a rough week. I hope your spring break is as restful and reflective as you want, and that you are able to be refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh Anne, we all have off days but you are so reflective that you will bounce back after break. Enjoy your time to yourself and whatever you have in store. One of these days, I plan to get over to Ruth's Sharing Our Stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder if other professions are as hard on themselves as teachers are. I think that sometimes the best lessons for our students is to also let them know how human we are, we have good and bad days/weeks, but are able to adjust and come back. What a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so smart to reflect and realize that they are kids. Kids aren't always kind. You will have a fresh new attitude when you return to school. Happy spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Leigh Anne, we all understand. We know how it feels in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete