Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Reflective Teaching Challenge - My Superpower



Find more information here on how you can join other teachers for September Reflections hosted by Teach Thought.

September 16 - If you had 1 superpower to use in the classroom, what would it be and how would it help?

When I read today's challenge, I felt myself being swept back 40 years ago and sitting in my living room watching Saturday morning television.  I remember wishing I could be Isis (and no I don't mean the same ISIS as today!)

Andrea was a high school science teacher who obtained superhuman powers by taking out an amulet from her shirt and saying the magic words, "Oh mighty Isis!"  Isis, who was before Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman, was able to control weather, lift heavy objects with her superhuman strength, make things disappear and reappear, and stop time in its tracks. 

She was a dedicated foe of evil, a defender of the weak, and a champion of truth and justice.  Plus she was a poet!  Every power she acquired was requested through a poem.  

"Oh zephyr winds which blow on high,
lift me now so I can fly."

If I had a chance to become a superhero, it would certainly be Isis, and I would repeat these words as I tackled illiteracy and aliteracy in our schools and in society. 

"Oh dear students who do not read,
hear these words so you can succeed.
Reading can take you where you've never been
Open a book and climb on in."

I would be a foe of standardized testing and politics in education, a defender of the children in poverty and those who are bullied, and a champion of those who struggle with or do not care for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment