Thursday, November 20, 2014

Gratitude



Every Thursday Holly Mueller from Reading, Teaching, Learning, creates a place where readers can share their spiritual journeys.

I have to admit something - I cheated a little today.  I used part of a post from Slice of Life as my gratitude post today because the words are worth repeating,

A few weeks ago, I came across a tweet about a girl named Brittany Maynard. Brittany was a young woman who had a terminal brain tumor and chose to end her life on her own terms before the cancer did it for her.  This story grabbed my heart and did not let go.

This post is not about what she did because it is not my place to judge.  It is about what she said.  I am sure being face to face with one's mortality would be the catalyst to change and the inspiration to very deep thinking.  As I read her obituary, I was inspired by her words.

It is people who pause to appreciate life and give thanks who are happiest.  If we change our thoughts, we change our world!  Love and peace to you all." ~ Brittany Maynard

Her words made me question whether I am pausing or am I racing through this one life I have.  Am I assuming the people in my life know I am thankful, or am I letting them know before it is too late.  I like to think I am a grateful person, but I know there are many times when I do not pause.

Reading Brittany's words gave me a nudge.  She knew her days were numbered.  I know my days in this life are numbered too.  The only difference is she made the best of those days she had left.  She chose to change her world by changing her thoughts. Seems rather simplistic, but the magnitude of her words could be life changing.

Today, I pause.  

                        Today, I reflect.  

Today, I thank.

                        Today, I challenge you to do the same.

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~Colossians 3:17

6 comments:

  1. Leigh Anne, faced with challenges we need to stop, reflect, and find gratitude for the trial no matter how difficult it is. I just came of intense traffic jams in NYC on my way to NCTE 14 so I am grateful that we had no collisions with crazy drivers. The challenge was intense and draining but now the path is clear. We need to be reminded that stress levels are high during challenges but we must keep our eyes on the clearing ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really find this inspiring. It is so true. Everyone's days are numbered. We are not guaranteed tomorrow, but if we focus on each today and live thankfully, our lives will make a diffrence to all those around us. (I haven't written my post yet. I think I will start with this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh Anne, you are so right! We need to appreciate every moment. It's so easy to forget and to get caught up in life's craziness. I love how Carol said, "The challenge was intense and draining but now the path is clear." What a great metaphor for life. When we keep our eyes on God, He will clear our path. That makes me grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pause and reflect! Maybe these words are holding something for me.....Making the best of the days that we have. You have definitely given me something to ponder.....Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A favorite Bible verse of mine...So much to be thankful for...and even in the hardest circumstances, God is good.

    The other day I remembered something from year ago... Someone talking about their mom having cancer ...Someone had said to him "God is good" because his mom was getting better. His loving reply was..."Even if my mom was not getting better, God is still good."

    ReplyDelete