Thursday, November 6, 2014

My Favorite Quote, My Mantra


Woo Hoo!  I am on my sixth day with @TeachThought for a November blogging challenge - Teaching Through an Attitude of Gratitude.  Please click here if you would like to join in the reflection.

I am a teacher of reading.  I am a lover of books.  Building relationships with my readers is key to creating a classroom where reading is a priority.   I believe in the power of books.  

Several years ago, I was reading Igniting a Passion for Reading by Steven Layne and came across this quote.

"Never underestimate the power of a great book in the hands of a teacher who knows how to use it."

This has become my mantra.  It is what I believe.  Students need teachers who read and use books in a positive way.  They do not need rewards, or reading logs, or consequences for not reading.  They need to know books are powerful.  Sometimes it just takes the right teacher to ignite that passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment