Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A "Heroic" Teacher


This month I am joining fellow bloggers and @TeachThought for a November blogging challenge - Teaching Through an Attitude of Gratitude.  Please click here if you would like to join in the reflection.

November 4 - What was the nicest gift you ever received from a student/parent/colleague?

As a teacher, I have received my share of candles, body wash or lotion, or flavored popcorn.  I have always been grateful for all gifts, but I will have to say that any handwritten note has to be my favorite.

Last year while I was reading to my students, the word "heroic" was in the book.  For some reason, I just could not pronounce that word.  No matter how hard I focused on it, I kept saying the "oy" sound.  The kids were laughing right along with me.  It just would not come out of my mouth.  That little joke carried on for the entire school year.

At the end of the school year, I received a gift card (from Barnes & Noble - my favorite!) and in it was a note from my student.  This student and I shared a very special reading relationship.  He loved to read and I loved sharing books with him. Here is his note.  Being called a "heroic" teacher is something I will always treasure - not because it is true.  But because he remembered.


No comments:

Post a Comment