Friday, January 19, 2024

I Missed It Reading Challenge

A few years ago, I participated in a #MustRead book challenge. We created a list of books that we missed reading the previous year and wanted to read in the new year. I loved this challenge because it was fun to read and see everyone's list plus it inspired me to pull those books from my endless TBR pile.

I recently stumbled upon a similar reading challenge from The Book Girls" Guide. It is called the In Case You Missed It:  Backlist Reading Challenge. Each month the reader chooses a book that they missed reading the year it was published starting with 2013. I thought about this challenge because I hardly read adult books, but then I realized I have many middle grade books that I have also missed reading.

I decided to create my own middle grade #IMissedIt reading list challenge. My only requirement was that I have to currently own the book (not difficult to do!). I began making list by looking at my "Want to Read" list on Goodreads and the past Nerdy Book Club's Middle Grade Fiction Nerdies Award. (All of the books starting in 2018 came from that list.)


January
Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz (2013)


February
Dash by Kirby Larson (2014)


March
The Last Kids on Earth by Max Brallier (2015)


April
All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook by Leslie Connor (2016)


May
Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling (2017)


June

You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly (2018)


July
Shouting at the Rain by Lynda Mullaly Hunt (2019)


August
Echo Mountain by Lauren Wolk (2020)


September
Pony by R.J. Palacio (2021)


October
Two Degrees by Alan Gratz (2022)


November
The Lost Library by Rebecca Stead and Wendy Mass (2023)

December
To be determined!

I have no idea how successful I will be, but it is always fun to create reading lists! I invite you to create your own backlist reading challenge and share with me here in the comments or on social media. If you are like me, I am sure you have books you have missed too!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of good ones here, and a couple I've tried (but not enjoyed as much as others). ALL RISE and INSIGNIFICANT EVENTS are two of my favorites here. I hope you enjoy this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picked out three favorites from your list: Dash, Echo Mounatin, and The Lost Library. Oh, you're set for a great reading year!

    ReplyDelete