Thursday, January 4, 2024

One Little Word 2024: Spiritual Journey Thursday


I consider myself lucky to live in an area of our country where I get to experience the four seasons. Although I have my favorite seasons of the year, I am typically happy to move on to the next one and to the beauty that each one brings.

Seasons are a constant reminder of change. But sometimes I don't like change. I find comfort in the familiar. I know that we find rest in the winter, rebirth in the spring, growth in the summer, and transformation in the fall. There is comfort in that continuous cycle of seasons. 

In a few weeks, I will celebrate my 60th birthday and be gifted with a brand-new season. If I said I wasn't a little anxious about this one, I would be lying.

I am now one of the oldest teachers in my building, and I struggle with being labeled by students.

The word retirement has been coming up in conversations with friends, family, and colleagues, and the question is being asked more and more. 

Just last week, we placed my mother in a memory care facility. This was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made.

I feel like I am being bombarded with new seasons. 

I know that each new season brings many moments of joy: winter landscapes of frosted windows and snow-laden tree branches; flowers in pinks and purples popping up, and tree filled with new life buds; the orange glow of summer sunsets; and the warm palette of fall leaves. I find joy in each new day.

For this new year, I need to find the joy in my own seasons of life. The purpose of my life is changing just like the seasons do, yet I struggle to find comfort in them right now. 

I know I must embrace them with my whole heart because God tells us...

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1


I am delighted to once again be joining other bloggers for Spiritual Journey Thursday. Today's journey is hosted by Margaret Simon.

10 comments:

  1. Leigh Anne, I once heard "The only thing constant is change." So true. I feel the love of different seasons AND the angst that comes from change we did not make happen, as well. Hold on to this next roller coaster ride - you've got supports from all over. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Ann, yes, change is inevitable. We need to be open to it and embrace all that change has to offer. We need to keep in mind that change brings us new opportunities to grow. Hope your changes open up new avenues for growth. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh Ann, I find the idea of seasons always gives me a lot of comfort. You are definitely in a season of "segues"! I'm glad you shared about your mother; I will be praying for you. Learning to love someone through memory loss is a rugged journey. Your presence matters...whether it is known or not. xo, ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a few years ahead of you, and I've let my hair go grey so yeah, the retirement question happens a lot. You know I share the aging parent denominator, too. A new season, a new chapter. But you are taking time to notice and feel joy every day. That's important to get through this season. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh Anne, here's to a wonderful 60's season! I can vouch for it being a good chapter. Peace to you and your mom and all your loved ones in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh Anne, I am with you in so much of this! Your word choice is perfect! Happy New Year and Happy New Season! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh Anne, I hope you find that the seasons ahead are as full and joyful as I have found them. No doubt there is challenge, but also a sense of fulfillment and new ways to share your talents. My best to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh Anne, may you find joy in the season of your life this year. I hoped you enjoyed your birthday. Contemplating your next steps this year becomes confusing because of the changes going on in your life. I read in the dictionary that the word season can mean "add flavoring to". I now will think of your OLW, season, with that thought. How will one word guide you and help you add flavor to your life. Happy New Year! (hugs and prayers for your mother)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our sixth grade anthology had a Chinese folktale with this theme: the only constant in life is change. Like you I find comfort in the familiar. Wishing you joy, comfort, and acceptance in your current season. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Imagine what our lives would be like without season-ing. :). Both scripture and the tilt of the earth with the sun are good reminders that life isn't always going to be easy or beautiful or joyful. It also reminds me of God's promise: "I am with you, always." Blessings for the coming seasons - that you may feel the steadfast love of God, no matter the season.

    ReplyDelete