Saturday, March 21, 2015

SOLC #21 Celebrate Turn #8

The Slice of Life March Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.  


My slice today is serving double duty because I am also celebrating with Ruth Ayres.

I celebrate becoming a teacher.

It seems that I have written a lot about my daughter this month, but a lot has been going on in her life.  The latest - she passed her special education test.  One step closer to becoming a teacher.  Only three more tests to go!  (I forgot this is a celebration post!)


I celebrate being a teacher.

Thursday I gave a presentation to a group of student teachers.  I spent several days creating and changing slides and then changing them again.  I made several pages of notes because there were certain things I wanted to make sure I said.  Because I prefer presenters who speak from the slides and not notes, I wanted my presentation to be conversational.   I wanted to just "talk" with them:  teacher to soon-to-be teachers. Once I showed my first couple of slides, the conversations began and the passion just poured from me.  

Because I spoke about a topic that is dear to my heart, I learned I didn't even need my notes.  
On the way out, one of the girls said, "I told Megan (my daughter who is also in the class) that you did a great job because I didn't zone out once."  I suppose coming from a college student, that is a compliment.


I celebrate learning from a teacher.

Prior to my presentation, another teacher from a county school presented writing strategies.  I took with me several writing strategies to try in my own classroom.  I have always said we learn the most from other teachers.

Have a wonderful week and may you find many things to celebrate!

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week! I forgot to write my celebration post today, so will tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great week! Congratulations to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter. Congratulations to you. Learning, growing, sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine that none of those new-to-be teachers zoned out, Leigh Anne, but I chuckled at the comment. You should share the words you gave them with us. We will appreciate them, too! Congrats to your daughter, on her way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your daughter. A week worth celebrating and commemorating here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so much to celebrate. I do agree we learn the most from other teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to both your daughter and you. I have always enjoyed talking to other teachers. I always learned something new that I could try in my own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is great pride when a teacher watches a child become one of "us"...I know....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of congratulations needed here! Your presentation sounds like it went so well. Well done! I would have loved to be in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Such a special moment when our children emulate us! And a presentation! GO, YOU! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. The continual learning and discovery is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that photograph, Leigh Anne - joy in accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your presentation sounds like it was very inspiring. I have enjoyed reading your posts about your daughter. You must be so very proud of her and the thought that you have inspired her to go into the profession must bring you much joy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to you both! Such an exciting time for your daughter. And your presentation sounds like it was ... motivating! Great topic and I know you spoke from the heart. It's easier to talk about something you know and live and care deeply about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder ... when will your daughter start blogging and join our community? :) I bet she has a lot to say too!

      Delete
    2. I am working on her. She started out as an English major, and she loves to write, so I think it will,eventually happen. I have convinced to get on Twitter though!

      Delete
  15. Michelle took the words right out of my mouth...when will your daughter start blogging with us?!?! :) Congratulations to her on passing her test!! And to YOU for a wonderful presentation! I agree...learning from fellow teachers is ALWAYS the best!!! So much to celebrate today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure if it was finding the perfect grad school or finding the right subject (education), but I never zoned out during any of my classes I attended to get my masters in teaching. It is definitely a compliment, because there were many lecture halls that I fell asleep amidst the sea of undergrads during a boring class!

    -Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/2015/03/21/thankful-for-great-massages-sol21/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats to you both. I love how you were able to present to student teachers. That is so awesome for them to hear from someone currently in the field. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats all around! You have much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that you caught yourself, remembering it is a celebration slice.

    ReplyDelete