Wednesday, March 25, 2015

SOLC #25 My Elopement Day

The Slice of Life March Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

Yesterday I wrote ten things you probably don't know about me.  Many people are surprised to hear that I eloped.  So, here is my elopement day story.

We had been dating for four years, and in April of 1990, I moved back to Indiana after living away.  It was time to get married.

But we didn't tell anyone...just yet.

First, my sister.

The night of our wedding, Friday, July 27, 1990, we invite my sister to come out and eat pizza with us.  

As we are sitting there, I say, "Well, we have something to tell you."  

"Ok, what is it?"

"We are getting married."

"That is great!  Congratulations!  So have you set a date?"

"Tonight at 7:30.  You have two hours to go home and get ready."

My wedding dress.
Next, his parents.

We walk in their house after the wedding,
obviously dressed up.  
He in a suit and tie and I in my dress.  
His mom says, "Hi.  Where have you two been all dressed up on a Friday night?"

"We went to a wedding."

"Oh who got married?"

Dave looks at her kind of funny and says, "We did."

She starts crying because she has seven kids, 
and he is the only one that she doesn't see get married.  (It sure was a good thing she liked me.)

Finally, my mom.

My mom lived in Tennessee at the time.  I had told her that I was coming down to visit that weekend, so she was expecting me.  We walk in and she is on the phone.  

She says, "Well my daughter and her boyfriend just walked in.  I better go."

Now, my mom knew I didn't like the word "boyfriend."  We were older and to me that word seemed like a "young" word, so I never called him that.

So, I say, "Mom you are going to have to quit calling him my boyfriend.  You know I don't like that."

"Well, what do you want me to call him?"

"How about my husband?"

...and that is the day I eloped.

We were married in the Catholic church by our priest, but only my sister, his brother and sister-in-law and his 3 month old nephew were there.

People often ask me if I regret not having a big wedding.  My answer is absolutely not. My only regret is that I have no pictures.  The film in the 45mm camera I borrowed was put in wrong, and none of them turned out.

This July we will celebrate 25 years of us.

simple people
simple ceremony
simple bands
simple love

...simply forever

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Leigh Anne....I just love this slice! Such a beautiful love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story. You had the important people you needed at the weeding...you and your husband. Congratulations on you upcoming 25.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a story! I love it. Simple. (Not to mention all the money you saved!) :) No pictures, no worries. Now your story is written. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you had fun revealing your marriage to everyone. I understand your mother-in-laws feelings, I would have been devastated if my son had done that. His wedding was one of the best days of my life. You found a great guy to spend your lifetime together. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure many mothers would be devastated, but his family knew that this was what he would do...just didn't know when.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful story...especially the poem at the end. Such an example of love and commitment. Happy 25th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I am so glad that you wrote this-I was curious to know more after reading your last slice. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story! I hope you will take some extra photos when you celebrate your 25th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your story! One of my brothers did the same. He called to tell me they were flying to Vegas to get married. He was worried what we all would think. I told him he had my full support, and I was happy he wanted to get married. They are going strong 15+ yrs later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! I love this story. I always thought it would be fun to invite people to your wedding but not tell them that it was a wedding until they were there.

    Weddings seem so out of hand these days. I like how you kept it about you two, since that is what it is supposed to be about.

    Was your mom upset?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story. I'm glad I came back to check it out. I had to laugh at putting the film in the camera incorrectly--that's so 20th century!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! What a lovely story - I loved hearing the way you shared the news with your families.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a story! I don't think I've ever read an elopement slice before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I loved reading the story of how you got married!
    The way you shared the news...precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you broke the news to everyone. Beautiful unfolding!

    ReplyDelete