Sunday, August 7, 2016

"Introduce Yourself" with Google Slides

Digilit Sunday

Today I am participating in Digital Learning Sunday with Margaret Simon at Reflections on the Teche.  This week Margaret has encouraged us to write about preparing for a new school year.

Last Thursday I began my 10th year of teaching, and I still get excited to greet a new group of students and wonder about all the magic that the new year holds.  

This year's students have a special label - "the students I abandoned."  

Two years ago I moved from the elementary level to the middle school level, and these are the students I would have had, had I stayed in 4th grade.  That spring I invited all of the third graders up to my classroom, and we had a wax museum where my current students became the person they read in a biography.  We talked about what it was like in 4th grade, and I told them all how excited I was to have them next year.

And then I left.

I look forward to finally being their teacher this year.  

I have spent a lot of time this summer learning about Google Classroom and all the amazing things I can do with this technology.  After attending a conference in June, I wrote a post and had teachers share their summer learning on Google Slides.  It was a fun way for me to try it out and connect with others.

This week I am using Google Slides with my students to introduce themselves to the class.  They will all have a slide in a presentation where they will tell three things about themselves and take and post a picture.  I will then play it for parents during our Back to School Night in a couple of weeks. 

If you use Google Classroom and have never been to Alice Keeler's website, I highly urge you to go.  Here is a link which will take you to the Google Slide template I used.  The best part is that it is all set up for you.  Just copy it, and you are ready to start your own Google Slides presentation with your students.

I am so excited to get back to school, to get back to blogging after taking the month of July off, and to get back to reading, writing, and teaching.

Let the school year begin.

4 comments:

  1. How neat that you'll be able to teach the class you missed. I bet they are so excited! I love Google Classroom and know I can learn more. I'll check out your links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you eventually get to teach these children. Our district has not joined the Google classroom age yet. But I am able to access Google slides at school. I will probably use this format to teach my students about my Africa trip. Thanks for linking up and being a part of my PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful you get to be their teacher again. It will be a good year my friend. I love your google slide introduction work. Just may steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, Leigh Anne! They will be so blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete