Saturday, August 20, 2016

Unplugged - Celebrate #15


Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week.

Today I feel as if I am a stranger in a place that once was so familiar.  A place where I could share and celebrate and think and wonder and laugh and cry.

But it also became a place where I felt over-committed and tired and empty.  I took a much needed break and abandoned my routine of blogging and writing.  My small writing break stretched into days and weeks and now months, something which wasn't intentional, but much needed.  

I tried to come back but I just wasn't ready yet.  I still needed more time to figure out why I write, where I wanted my writing to go and who I am as a writer.

Then school started two weeks ago, and as I began to plan my writing lessons, I felt like an impostor, a phony.   I became someone who says she writes but has rarely opened a notebook or picked up a pen in two months.

I strongly believe that in order to teach writing effectively, one must write.  Realizing the day had come when I needed to begin writing again, I picked up my pen.  I opened my notebook.  And the words and ideas flowed onto the page as if no time had passed.  

During these two months, I learned that sometimes we need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and unplug ourselves.  And that is perfectly OK.

Realizing I "still work" gives me reason to celebrate today.


Have a wonderful week 
and may you find many celebrations along the way!

11 comments:

  1. Exactly!🙂 It is good to celebrate finding your own rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that I missed it, but it was never strong enough to bring me back...until now.

      Delete
  2. I love that quote, Leigh Anne, am glad that you feel that it worked, and also glad to see you back. Hope the year has started well, and the summer gave a gift of renewal. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you full heartedly. Writers need a break too and it is ok not to write. I didn't write much this summer either. Glad your break helped and your inspiration and voice returned. Hugs and a happy new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you are, back where you belong. Missed your voice. But I understand the need to take a rest. I hope you will write about your digital voice tomorrow for #DigiLitSunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh Anne, So glad you took the time to refresh and refill your well. Anne Lamont has it correct as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you recognized what you needed and did it. Anne Lamont is a treasure. Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so important to make that time for yourself - good for you that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've skipped a few weeks of writing and felt a bit of a tug but not a pull to get the words going, too. I celebrate that you are back too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Realizing the day had come when I needed to begin writing again, I picked up my pen. I opened my notebook. And the words and ideas flowed onto the page as if no time had passed.

    LOVE these words! Full of hope for all writers that we can take a needed break and still jump back in!

    ReplyDelete