Saturday, January 28, 2017

Celebrate 2017 (Four)



Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share our celebrations. 

When I chose RISE as my one little word for 2017 and marked January as the month to embrace challenges, I had no idea the early impact they would have on my life.

Two days after I announced it the world, I received a phone call from my sister.

"I have cancer."

She didn't know much about the lab report other than those words.  

So the wait began.  

I went with her to the appointment where she received some optimistic news.  The initial lab report looked like it was stage 0.  (I didn't even know there was a stage 0.) She scheduled her surgery for the following week.

And we waited again.

The surgery went well (even after she and her doctor got the flu that weekend) and she received the lab report this week.  It was a very small tumor and all of the margins were clear, which means the tissue surrounding the tumor were clear of cancer cells.  

The news we were hoping for.  Now, she has several weeks of radiation and again, some more waiting.  But for now, we will celebrate!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...even when you didn't know exactly what you were praying for.  You knew something was going on, and your kind words were much appreciated.  

I don't want this to sound like a PSA, but if you, or someone you know, do not get regular mammograms, please make an appointment soon.  I know my sister's cancer was caught through early detection which played an important part in her story.

Have a great week and may you find many celebrations along the way!

10 comments:

  1. Thankful the news was what you hoped for. Praying for continued good news after radiation. Glad your OLW has been an inspiration. My sister had a similar result several years ago, and continues to get good reports. Early detection is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Anne, my first response is Thank you God for the news that your sister will be fine. Next, I don't know if you know this but I had lymphoma 13 years ago and was very ill but here I am today through the power of faith and medicine. The Lord is Good, Leigh Anne. Prayers Matter. I will continue to lift your sister up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what wonderful news, certainly a reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The early detection was so important.Great that the surgery went well. The radiation will be a challenging process. I wish your sister strength. She will need your support. I wish you strength too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrating with you. Praying for you and your sister -- peace, strength, and healing. God is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who is faced with cancer has the right to do a PSA. So glad things are looking good for your sister's recovery. Not an easy process, though, and I'm sure you've been a comfort to her. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The luxury of hope is a true gift! Your sister is lucky to have you--you are lucky to have one another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to read of this good news. I will lift you and your sister up in prayer along with my own family member who is facing breast cancer and radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending love and hugs to you and your sister. So happy the news is great so far!

    ReplyDelete