Saturday, January 21, 2017

Forward Motion ~ Celebrate 2017 (Three)



Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share our celebrations. 

When I chose my one little word for 2017, I created a monthly theme to accompany it. January was "Embrace Challenges."  Little did I know at the time, my personal life would test this.  But I chose embrace challenges because I knew a student, was returning to my classroom from our alternative education classroom.

I wrote about this student in another celebration post earlier in the year.  Each day with "B" brings a different set of challenges.  Will he cooperate?  Will he work? Will he act out? But each day I push forward.  

Many days it is one step forward, two steps back.

When we insist on dwelling in the backward motion, we reject embracing the challenges and increase the potential for failing our students.  

Yes, there are days when the rythym of my breathing is "ignore, ignore, ignore...push forward."  But it is this forward motion that grounds my belief in "B".   

Late this week we made a step forward, and I solicited some help from other teachers to support him.  A colleague, Mr. K., sent me a picture of this student reading (which he has refused to do all week) in his classroom.  Along with the picture, he sent these words:


"We never give up in our quest." 

Mr. K. is also a teacher who believes in relationships, who believes in forward motion, and who believes in this student.  I am lucky to have him as a colleague.

Yes, we may have many bad days; but it is those in-between moments, along with teachers who believe in celebrating forward motion, that I must hang on to. If not, I will fail those students who need me most.  And I refuse to fail.

11 comments:

  1. B is lucky you refuse to fail. Despite stepping back, there is the possibility of moving forward. Just by celebrating, you are moving forward. Stay strong and continue that movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Anne, your celebration touches my heart! I always believe students like B need us the most although our most often wears us out. Also my OLW is quest "We never give up in our quest" I felt the pull towards your post today thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Leigh Anne. Your students (one in particular) need you and you need them to meet your challenges as a teacher. I am sure we all have had our share of classroom challenges. Fill your heart with faith and move on with positivity. When the going gets tough, remember you are the guide on their journey. My thoughts are with you (thinking of last week's post with the challenge included).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love how you continue to live out your OLW and have inspired others around you to do the same! Your students are lucky to have you all. (Happy birthday, too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reflections and thoughts are full of power and potential Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rhythmic breathing mantra you shared: "ignore, ignore, ignore...push forward." B is lucky to have you and your colleague pulling for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't it feel good to write this post, to recognize that we need others to help us through, and to celebrate the forward motion, no mater how small? Your struggle is real and you don't deny this. Yet you are looking for the positive. Keep it up! Rise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celebrations give strength when challenges face us. Celebrations keep us going. We don't have the option of giving up with the students. We need the celebrations and people who support and understand us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your student is so lucky to have you and Mr. K. He has to know that no matter what, you are going to be there for him. This is a true celebration! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Leigh Anne! I've been wrestling with how to organize some writing around my OLW17 across the year. You just inspired the answer: I'll create a monthly focus for it! Now, I'm "celebrating [a bit of] forward motion" with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That student is fortunate to have your special ways of looking at life, Leigh Anne. "Pushing forward" gives him strength although he may not realize it yet. Love hearing your story, and best wishes in the personal too.

    ReplyDelete