Sunday, January 1, 2017

#MustReadin2016 Comes to an End...Thankfully!


Three years ago Carrie Gelson of There's a Book for That started a reading challenge for the year which consisted of a "must read" list and link up. Basically the challenge is a list of books that we didn't read in the current year but wanted to read in the following year. This is my third year to participate, but also my least successful year. My reading as a whole declined in 2016, but this challenge was particularly stagnant.

Although I read 100 books for my Goodreads challenge in 2016, I had 22 books on my list this year (which is way too many!) and I am embarrassed to say that I only read....





5!

And here they are...in no particular order



The highlight of this year's challenge is that I was introduced to a new author, Alan Gratz.

His book Code of Honor was on my list, but I also read Projekt 1065.  Both books are historical fiction and are great middle grade reads.  I guess finding a new author can be considered a success for this year's challenge.

Sometimes I wonder why I participate in reading challenges.  The first answer and the only answer for me is that sharing books makes my reading experiences even better! Many times when I finish a book, the first thing I want to do is talk about it.  I never lack for a listener because of my connected reading groups.  (Although my TBR lists grow longer!)  So, thank you friends for listening, for sharing, and for reading with me this year.

I hope you consider joining Carrie and many other bloggers for Must Read in 2017!  Look for the link-up on January 5th.  Check out her blog here for everyone's final update for 2016.

Happy New Year 
and Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. Leigh Anne, it's about the community! I love that you are part of this one! Happy reading in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get not finishing the challenge. Too many books come up. The way I look at it, it's not like you read 5 books all year. Because too often that is what happens with our students - I shouldn't say our - I'm proud we know our kids and the ones we need to get to. But other kids don't have that luxury and their reading suffers. Be proud that you read many many books this past year! You'll be linking up for 2017?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! I managed to read 100 books this year but did not complete all 12 of the books on my Must Read list. I wouldn't have changed a thing though. I agree with Michele that these are great teachable moments for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first year I participated I only read 5 books from my list, and this year I didn't even read half, but, as you said, it's so much fun sharing everything you read and seeing what everyone else has read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh at your set up for your grand total. ;-) I had way too many on my list, too and will pare it down for 2017. Are you going to go see A Monster Calls? I can't believe they made it a movie!

    ReplyDelete