Tuesday, January 3, 2017

One Little Word 2017


Thank you Two Writing Teachers for creating this space for me to share my corner of the world.

Social media this week is full of people claiming their one little words.  This is my fourth year of choosing a OLW to guide me through the year.  Search (2013), Reach (2014), and Turn (2015) were all words that suited me well.  

I felt I had a purpose for the year. 

Last year I struggled with Intent (2016).  The word fit more with my personal life, but it failed to encompass my professional life.  Looking at my words, I also noticed that the first three were verbs.  An action I had to take.  Something I did.

Since I am a doer, I knew this year I needed another verb, and I needed something that would guide all the "people" who make up who I am.  

I began reading other peoples' words hoping that one would find me.  I thought about the words quest, journey, metanoia (means a journey of changing), and elevate. I read tweets, followed the #OneWord2017 hashtag, and poured over pins on Pinterest, hoping something would surface.  

And it did.  


I read and pinned the quote "Decide to Rise".  It lingered in my thoughts.  

It was a verb; it was an action.  But could it guide all of me?

I thought my word had found me, yet it still wasn't perfect.  How was I going to rise in the year 2017?  It needed a purpose, a focus.

I found my answer through a post written by Ann Voskamp at A Holy Experience. I discovered how I was going to purposely extend my word across an entire year.  

Last year, Ann made a list of verbs for each month and attached a noun to make a "SOULution" instead of a resolution.  I knew my one little word was leading me in a new direction.  (This also makes the fourth word that has been influenced by Ann. Read how she previously influenced me here and here.)

I have made my own list of twelve verbs and attached a purpose to each one, very similar to Ann's.  Now I hope to RISE each day with: 

love on my lips, 
hope in my heart, 
and thankfulness in my thoughts.

My word has a purpose for each month, a purpose to make a difference in my life and the lives of others.  They are not resolutions, but instead, a way to look positively in the year ahead.  I look forward to writing about and sharing my one little word this year with all of you.

20 comments:

  1. I see you were able to RISE to the occasion and come up with an inspiring OLW, as well as a plan.
    Good for you and may you RISE above any obstacles you may encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a great word. i look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a hard time finding my word. It usually finds me. But reading your slice has helped me open my mind to more solutions to finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I love the month by month list. I may borrow it, if it's ok. I LOVE that we picked the same word! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great reflection, Leigh Anne, of how your OLW found you! I love the idea of making a monthly plan. Great focus! It seems like RISE is the word of the year for many of you. I know you will RISE to great places!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw all your pins on Pinterest and knew Rise would be your OLW. What I didn't know was how you would use it each month. I love that idea. I'm off to DISCOVER how I can use my word each month :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. As I chose my word (joy) I was hesitant as to whether I would be successful with my very first OLW! Your plan for the year is such a great idea. May I borrow it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote the first draft of my 2017 OLW post with the word RISE. It didn't quite fit, so I changed it to STRETCH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your OLW! I too chose an action word. Mine is Strive. :) I love this One Little Word idea that's taken a hold of everyone. It's very positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheering to you! Great word and a wonderful way you are using it to plan your year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful word, and I love how you created the actions for each month, Leigh Anne. Cheers for a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE reading about other people's OLW! I get such good ideas from other people. I like how you have a purpose and a "theme" for the month. I'm going to try the purpose. I'm going to get out my bullet journal as soon as I publish this and work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this. You've inspired me to write about something that's been roaming in my brain since Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! We need a verb! And I love how you have set up a purpose, a focus for each month. Something to consider! Thank you Leigh Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a beautiful word and you've done so much thinking about and planning with it already. Good luck and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's to verbs! Your purpose for each month is just wonderful - you will rise to each one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to read Ann Voskamp. Not sure why I don't anymore. I love the monthly intentions for following Rise. I also admire how your word rose up from a center of faith. This feels right for you and your continued journey toward a faith-filled life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely and generous list, Leigh Anne! Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful visual! I love how Anne Voskamp's soulutions inspired you and how you incorporated each of those monthly purposes into your visual. I can't wait to follow your journey this year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete