Saturday, July 12, 2014

Celebrate Good Times, Come On! 7/12


Each Saturday  Ruth Ayres invites us to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week. Looking for celebrations has certainly improved my outlook on my week.  For that, I am certainly grateful to Ruth and to all of you who choose to celebrate with me.


Today I celebrate peach pie!  



I live in a small town where agriculture is the one of the main industries.  Because of this, homegrown produce is usually in abundance.  My favorite tastes of summer include: strawberries early summer, peaches and sweet corn mid-summer and watermelons late summer! 

Because of our harsh winter, the peach crop has not been good this year.  Last week at our local grocery store, I hesitantly purchased some peaches.  I am always a little leery about buying produce that I LOVE which is not local because I am usually disappointed.  Much to my surprise, the peaches were pretty tasty. So Friday I decided to make a peach pie and it was wonderful!

While making this pie, so many memories came flooding back.

My first remembrance of eating a fresh peach was when I was about 9 or 10.  I went with my grandparents to their river cabin for the weekend.  We stopped at a roadside stand and bought peaches to take with us.  I remember sitting on the swing and bending over because the peach so juicy and the juice ran down my chin and hands.  

Hmm, hmmm!  Sweet summer!

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I craved peaches - I could not get enough! Lucky for me, it was this time of year so I could pretty much eat all I wanted. I would walk into the market, and they would laugh because they knew what I was coming for.

Hmm, hmm!  Sweet summer!

My last memory involves my father-in-law.  The last year of his of life, my mother-in-law was in a nursing home with Parkinson's Disease.  Because they lived next door, he ate dinner with us most nights.  He was always thankful for whatever I cooked, and he always ended the dinner with, "Good dinner!"  Peach pie was one of his favorites, and I enjoyed making them for him because I knew he was so appreciative.  I loved him and miss him dearly, and today my thoughts were about him.

Hmm, hmm!  Sweet summer!  Now that is a "peachy" celebration!

Have a wonderful week and may you have many celebrations!

18 comments:

  1. Even though peach is one of the items on my yucky foods list, I really enjoyed this post! I love how a taste of something can bring back so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peach pie was my husband's favorite, Leigh Anne. They bring good memories to me too, maybe another post? Thank you for these celebrations; I loved reading your stories. Yum, want a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like heading to the farm market and doing some baking! (and I don't even like peach!)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Looks delicious! I love reading about your memories of peach pie. I also had to smile at your dish. I have Longeberger pottery, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I enjoyed reading your memories of peach pie. I also had to smile at the dish. I have Longaberger pottery, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, that looks good! My daughter just had a peach with her lunch and commented how good it was :) I love how something so simple can remind us of such good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your memories of peaches remind me of my memories of pecans. We always have pecan pie at Thanksgiving. I hope I am building memories now with blueberries. Food produces strong connections!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sweet post Leigh Anne in more ways than one. Ironically we had our first peaches of the season yesterday in a mango, papaya, peach fruit salad. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love peaches and peach pie Leigh Anne. Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peaches are something to celebrate, especially when you have so many memories attached to them. Last year I celebrated my bounty of peaches from my tree, this year I lament the cold snapped my blossoms before they ever opened. Sigh . . . there's always hope next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the memories that came with those two words - peach pie. I loved stopping at roadside stands and buying fruit. Our peaches came from Costco and CA, but they were splendid! Wish we could sit down together for peach pie and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also appreciated how you weaved your way into the story with your local history and perspective. Nice food to anchor so many beautiful memories on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just this summer I have fallen for peaches. A good peach is like the memories you shared, sweet and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading this post - and all the wonderful connections you have to peach pie! It's amazing how food can anchor us to so many memories. My "summer memory food" is making jam! Thanks for sharing these special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious!
    Love how the peaches brought back so many wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious!
    Love how the peaches brought back so many wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious!
    Love how the peaches brought back so many wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your peach pie looks delicious. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Your memories that accompany the pie were served up just right too...great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete