Sunday, August 23, 2015

Celebrate Turn #25


Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week.

Today I celebrate "those moments."

My daughter has been on a roller coaster these last two weeks.  And I don't mean the exhilarating raise your hands in the air and scream with excitement thriller rides.

I mean the one with jerky turns that smash you against the sides and where you are holding on for dear life and wondering when and if this nightmare is ever going to end.

She started her first year of teaching.  I am sure you all remember it well.  But sitting on the sidelines and watching as a mother has left me emotionally drained.  I leave my school literally sick to my stomach because I am so worried about what state of mind Megan will be in when she comes home.  I look at her face when she walks through the door, and I know what kind of day it was...again.

But this week we had a breakthrough.

She has a student who is making her day tough.  She spent hours creating behavior interventions to put into place for this student.  She talked to the special ed teacher, who was also her student teaching cooperating teacher, and she thought it looked like a good plan.

One day this week she came home with a different look on her face.  I didn't ask about her day; I waited for her to tell me.

And she did.  And she had that look we have all experienced.  She told me her interventions worked and the class had a wonderful day.

I said to her while holding back tears, "Now you know how it feels to believe you have made a difference.  You have to celebrate this moment and hold on to it tight.  Because these are the moments that are going to get you through."

I know she is going to make it through this difficult first year.  We all made it by holding on to those moments when we knew why we decided to become teachers.  I know she will too.

Today I celebrate "those moments."

Have a great week and may you find many celebrations along the way.

6 comments:

  1. Wow...I love how you compared this to the terrifying kind of roller coaster ride! Teaching can be tough but Megan will make it, as we did. She has the added bonus of having you, totally understanding and giving her practical advice. Hurrah for "those moments" that remind us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled that in her first week, a wonderful thing happened "because of her ideas"! Yes, after so, so many years, I still remember some of my first year, with close to 40 first graders. I'm not sure how I got through it, and one way that helped was a wonderful colleague. Wow did she help me. As it sounds like your daughter's colleagues (and her mother) are helping, supporting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teaching truly can be a roller coaster ride. Thankfully we do get those moments that we can put our hands in the air, throw our head back and yell at the top of our lungs with pure joy! Your daughter is so lucky to have you in her life and have someone who truly understands what teaching is like. I celebrate you loving your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so much harder for the Mom to watch a child struggle with their difficult experiences. And it is always a great joy when you get to witness the struggle end and the child overcome those difficult times. You captured both Mom feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad she has you to come home to!!! On days like those, the wrong thing said, no matter what the intention, can be taken the wrong way. I know you will help her celebrate and believe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for that moment!!! The first year...oh my goodness, it's tough. Having supportive colleagues and a wonderfully supportive mom will help her, I'm sure. Hoping for more of those "moments to hold onto" soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete