Friday, April 15, 2016

Wise Words from a Seventh Grader - Celebrate #9


Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week.  


I have had a new friend this week.  Actually, we have become quite close given the fact she has made me extremely frustrated at times.  She has rarely left my side for the last ten days.  But she is the reason why I can't neatly write, 


why I can't tightly tie my shoes,


why I can't open a gallon a milk,


why I can't use my computer very well,


why I can't wear a belt.  


Just when I started complaining, whining, and feeling sorry myself because my hand is in a splint, and I can't use my thumb, a former student writes me a note and puts everything back in perspective.





"I heard about your arm and what happened and hope that it heals...Things happen for a reason.  Some things you won't like and some that are the best thing possible...a reason that no one knows why.  I think you can be taught a lesson on what there is to do with one hand.  Remembering the things you could do with two hands, imagine the things you can do with one...Be strong, it'll be over later."

Such wise words from a seventh grader.  I think I need to listen.

Have a great week, and may you find many celebrations along the way.

9 comments:

  1. Too funny, turn around is fair play..."when the student is ready, the teacher will arrive." I hope you are back to being a bi handed person quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I pray you heal quickly. One of my favorite things in my new position this year has been connecting with 7 and 8th graders. They are so awesome. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great letter! Glad you shared.Hope the healing is well on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wise young person, Leigh Anne. I'm sorry for your accident(?) too, but guess we do learn from changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise words from a young person. Great advice. Keep healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your hand is on the mend. My middle school friends never cease to amaze me with the insights they have into life!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great letter. Your post was fun to read even though it was about a difficulty. I liked the way you opened it with the new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh Anne, who would have expected a young student to write such wise words. I am impressed. Perspective is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! The thoughtfulness to write and the wisdom...so incredible!

    ReplyDelete