Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Fungi is a Popping-Up Word

One of my favorite ways to write poetry is through word play. Several summers ago I learned about a specific word play in poetry though Laura Purdie Salas. There are so many ways to play with words, but this idea is one that has just stayed with me, and one that I love to do with students.

This fall we had a fungi explosion. With so much rain, fungi were popping up overnight. I never knew what I was going to find each day. So much beauty can be found in nature.

And so much mystery, too!



Fungi is a popping-up word

pushing through the pine needles

in the middle of the night

while fairies dance in circles

in the golden moonlight.


I’m joining an open community of writers over at Sharing Our Stories: Magic in a Blog. If you write (or want to write) just for the magic of it, consider this your invitation to join us. #sosmagic


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Leigh Anne, this is just magical--the alliteration is great, and the scene is so vivid in my head! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing was happening here in New Brunswick, Canada! What a wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete