Friday, January 9, 2015

Celebrate Turn #1


I am ever so grateful to Ruth Ayres for inviting us to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week. 

Last Tuesday I revealed my one little word for 2015 - TURN.  As I go through this year, I want to celebrate the turns in my life - the good, the bad, and the bumpy.  

I celebrate returning to school after a much needed Christmas break.  The best part about new grading periods is that all of the students get a new chance.  The students seemed excited about returning, and we are off to a great start.

I celebrate a life turn for my daughter Megan.  She began her student teaching this week.  She will have a dual license, special ed and general ed K-6.  Her first placement is in a resource room working with k-2 kids as well as a 5th grade student with Autism.  She has started to build a relationship with the 5th grader.  While working with him, he kept rubbing her watchband.  She was so excited to link what she learned about sensory learners to the actual classroom.  This is going to be so much fun!

Now, for my turn.  I have limited my Diet Coke consumption this week, and I can't believe how much better I feel.  I actually went two days with only drinking one, and most days just had one at lunch.  I have taken a healthier lunch to school and drank more water.  I still need to get that exercising started, but one day turn at a time.

Have a great week and may you find many celebrations along the way.

16 comments:

  1. What an exciting start for your daughter! I also enjoyed reading about your small 'turns' this past week. Giving up Diet Coke is HARD! Good for you, Leigh Anne! Keep it up!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed at the diet coke...I'm not sure if I could do it. So exciting to see your daughter student teaching! Congratulations!! Love hearing about your OLW. I must confess I think of you whenever I hear, or read, the word turn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "one turn" at a time, guess that's a good motto for all the year, Leigh Anne. How wonderful to hear about your daughter. You'll love talking things over, won't you? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh Anne! Such important turns this week! Everywhere I turn, people seem to be looking at their soda consumption. I feel like this might be a nudge. :) Good luck with this journey. I can't wait to hear more about it! Best of luck to your daughter. If she needs resources, reach out! I'm happy to help! I love working with student teachers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely way to think of life, the journey and the turns you make. I have to say after I found out your OLW I kept singing Turn Turn Turn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4. Seems appropriate?
    Sounds like things are turning in positive directions. How fun for you to see your daughter grow into our profession!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good turn - limiting your diet coke consumption!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your word! I never would have thought of it, but it is such an important one in life. Congrats on all your turns this week. Good luck with the Dt. Coke, I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for your daughter's practicum, and reducing your Diet Coke consumption. Been in both places, both hard, but both very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having your daughter student teaching gives you so much to talk about. Cool that you were able to tie your celebrations to your OLW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be so very proud to see you daughter follow in your footsteps and begin to experience the joys of teaching! I LOVE your OLW for the year - it has so many layers to it! My husband has an addition to diet pepsi! Congratulations on your efforts to limit your consumption! Have a great week and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting that your daughter is also going to be a teacher. You must really have inspired her. Good luck with your restrictions of Diet pop. I am so glad I have never liked pop. I know many with addictions that are hard to curb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting that your daughter is student teaching. You all must have such great conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much fun for your daughter to apply what she's learned! Congrats on the diet coke. Ironically I cut my Diet Coke consumption out a few years back during Lent. Not easy, but doable. Good Luck, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gave up Diet Coke about 5 years ago. It was giving me headaches and it's terrible for you. I now bring a thermos of tea with me to school. Works well and I am not tempted by the Coke machine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I gave up Diet Coke a few years ago, changing it for non-sweetened tea. I try to have only one soft drink a week as a treat. Giving up anything is hard! Hope you have a good 2nd week back :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on turning away from Diet Coke, never an easy move. Glad that you are seeing rewards right away. How fun that you daughter is beginning her student teaching. I love to share teaching stories with my niece who teaches 4th grade. Good luck with stretching yourself one turn at a time.

    ReplyDelete