Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Sounds of Morning


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for creating a place to share our Slice of Life. Read more slices or add you own here.

This fall our daily routine changed dramatically.  My husband started a new job which was 40 minutes away and in another time zone.  We are a routine family - shower times coordinated, departure times were scheduled and dinner was on the table most nights at 5:15.  

Then the new job.

Our day now started at 5:30 with new coordinated shower schedules.  My husband was in the bathroom while I ate breakfast and then we switched.  The house was quiet, and the two of us went about our new routine in pretty much silence.  My husband took me to school, and we were out of the house usually by 6:15.  We no longer saw our children before we left.  This was the new routine and left an empty feeling in our hearts.  

Now the old job.

The first of the year a decision was made and our life took a turn.  My husband is no longer with that company, and our house is smiling again with the sounds of morning.  "Good morning" and "have a good day" are the bookends to our new routine.


The Sounds of Morning

alarm clocks ringing
teenagers moaning
parents smiling
showers running
hairdryers blowing
coffee brewing
bread toasting
cereal bowls clanging
lunch packing
cars running
doors opening

to a new day

16 comments:

  1. I love the sounds of your morning, Leigh Anne, and that you were mindful enough to recognize what was missing. I'm glad there is happy bustle -- and returned routines -- to your family's mornings. Enjoy!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sounds of the morning! They bring comfort, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turn, I'm sure, came with difficult decisions, but you all seem to be happy with the re-turn. Love the sounds of your morning. Now that I am empty nest, mine is pretty quiet. Well, except for the pets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such joy in the noise of a morning routine!! Your slice made me smile!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "parents smiling"--too often mine would be "parent scrambling"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that poem cracking open after your prose. What a wonderful sharing of both forms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sounds of the morning---all's right with the world once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem - love the rhythm of it. I also love how much you clearly appreciate the little things in life - which, in the end, are the things that matter most aren't they? Glad you guys found a better routine and can enjoy the sounds of your mornings together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sounds of your morning, Leigh Anne - so cozy, warm and filled with good cheer. Glad things are back to normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a TURN of events! I couldn't imagine being out of the house before any goodbyes or hugs (but my babies are four and a half). I love that you hold dear those mornings of together and noise and equate it to comforting. Makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does sound so much better, Leigh Anne. Nice change, lovely that it all could work out for all of you. I love your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bookends of your days sound so much happier-we had similar job challenges this year-old...new...old...new again and better! It would be hard to say good-bye without saying good-bye...Nat insists on group hugs in the morning so I get what you are saying here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so fun to read your post as well as the comments. I leave the house around 5:30 to go workout and I couldn't be happier - when I'm home, the chaos that is created between my husband and daughter, 2 non-morning people, is enough to drive me crazy! I'm glad your routine has returned!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning sounds inspiring a poem. Good morning, great start for a day. I like the image of a smiling house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband took started a new job in the fall as well, which has made for very challenging mornings for me as he is gone and out of the house before any of us wake up! Then it's me with the two teenagers all trying to get out of the house! I loved hearing about your return to "normal" - and the poem was great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy your sounds are back! Family times = the BEST of times.

    ReplyDelete