Monday, January 5, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 1/5


Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What Are You Reading?  Be sure and stop by to participate or see what others are reading and recommending this week.


Nightingale's Nest by Nikki Loftin

Have you ever finished a book and thought, "Oh I wish I had read this sooner?"  That is how I felt after reading Nightingale's Nest by Nikki Loftin.  I bought this book last summer and so many other recommended books kept pushing it down in my To Be Read pile.  This book deserves to be moved up, read, and praised.

Although this book is a fantasy, the characters Little John and Gayle bring you into their lives and create a believable story.  It is a story of grief and sadness, love and hope, growing up and the magic of song.



The Watsons Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis

We will be reading this novel as part of our civil rights when we return to school this week.  Although this book has been around awhile, I had not read it before.  The story takes place in 1963, but sadly, parts of the book could have been written today.  I honestly don't know how much our world has really changed.  

Books on deck for this week:


This book is the January selection for the Virtual Book Club.  Click here for more information on the Twitter chat as well as a list of the books featured for 2015.


Happy Reading!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy The Boundless! I read this to my children and we LOVED the adventure! How To Outrun . . . is on my #mustreadin2015 list. Need to get to it soon so I can participate in the chat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the third one to rave about Nightingale's Nest, certainly a must read! Thanks for all the others too, Leigh Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watsons is such a powerful read - humorous, but so moving. And I am with you in wondering how much of our world has really changed since 1963....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Nightingale on my #mustread list and I have The Watsons, just need to read it. Story of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good list you have there! I have all of them on my TBR list. Just have to get my hands on some of them! Happy reading!
    I am reading The Painted Veil myself and I started reading Where the Red Fern Grows today to my class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Watsons go to Birmingham is one of my top books of all time. We have a lit circle set at our school. I think the most powerful conversations I've ever had with kids have been around that book. I've also got How to Outrun a Crocodile on my pile waiting for me. I think I'll have to pull it to the top to compare your responses to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading a lot about the virtual book chat! Have fun with that! :) We featured The Watsons go to Birmingham at one point and remember loving it. I have to find Nightingale's Nest soonest. :)

    ReplyDelete