Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A Love Letter #SOL19


I am participating in the Two Writing Teachers Annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge.  

My Dearest L.L.,

It has been almost 29 years since we were hooked up together. The day I moved into my new house, you joined me, and we have been connected ever since... until today. But now that my husband knows the cost of us staying together, he says it's a waste of money to keep our relationship. He told me that we must say goodbye.

My heart breaks because I will no longer hear the tone of your voice. You were by my side during the most important moments of my life. You were there when I told my mother that the baby was on its way, and when I found out that I got my first teaching job. You were beside my bed as we waited to here the words, "He's gone."

You let me carry you around as Megan, Ethan, and I played outside.  You hid in the laundry basket as I carried laundry up from the basement, making sure no one knew you were there. And you sat beside me on the rocker as the kids napped and as I read a book on the porch.  Just you and me, together all this time.

Today, I said goodbye. It was one of the hardest things I have had to do because long-distance relationships are hard to find these days.

So this is goodbye.  I'll remember you forever, my love, my dearest LandLine.

With love,
Leigh Anne



15 comments:

  1. Love it. I remember when we gave up ours. My wife was nervous and people asked us what we would do when the cell "lines" were down. Many years later we have never had an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job keeping us guessing, and building up to the finish! On a related note, we are keeping our landline; never know when a major power outage will curtail our cell phone charging and use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Maybe I'm showing my youth here, but I had no idea what you were talking about until the end. You did a great job of building the memories and the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great, unique post! The way your personify the phone, your land line, is brilliant and witty! All the while, you give us a glimpse into some defining moments in your life! Great read, Leigh Anne! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever! I love the anticipation trying to determine who or what L.L.is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I love that you shared some major life events while talking about L.L. - and I have to say that I skipped to the end because the anticipation was killing me! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspected you were referring to a land line when you mentioned it was a waste of money. I was worried for you. I have a land line and will keep it until it is no longer supported. I lose power frequently and it has been helpful. Also, living in Central Maine, cell service is not always crisp and clear.
    I am sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, Leigh Anne! I'm so sorry for your loss, but I applaud you for your willingness to embrace change (no matter how slight).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like ht voice you use here. I feel sorry for the land line as it becomes history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saying good-bye is always a sad experience. You handled it beautifully. I am sure L.L. understands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great post! I loved your voice and emotion that you put into your landline relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I so enjoyed rereading it after I knew the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This made me giggle. We still have a landline but it's only because it makes our cable bundle cheaper! I loved that you kept us guessing and gave the LL a life and story of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're doing the right thing. Just let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! With today's technology, these long term relationships are a thing of the past. Thanks for giving us a glimpse in to your past and to your past relationship!

    ReplyDelete