Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Getting Real #SOL19


I am participating in the Two Writing Teachers Annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge.  

As I'm working at my desk, my phone goes off. I look down and see it is from Ethan, my soon-to-be-college-graduate son. Usually during the week, our communication is via text message, so this phone call was an unexpected surprise.

"Hey, I have a question."

"Hey, I'll have an answer."

"What do I put for the salary on this application?"

My heart skips a beat.

A job application.

A "real" job application.

The real world kind of job application.

After we discuss what he should put in the blank, I ask him about the position. He tells me it is a position in a center for Autism.  My heart skips another beat.

It's getting real.

And I ask myself, "Is this Momma ready for the real world?"

9 comments:

  1. The way you captured this moment made my heart skip a beat right along with you! It sounds like he is venturing off to do great things, scary feelings aside, you must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got this, mama. My mom went through the same thing with me 2 years ago, and is about to go through it again with my brother who graduates in two months. It just means you have done your job well and he is moving on up to impact the lives of MANY more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look out world here he comes. I can only think he has a good role model in you as he gets ready to find his place in this world. Congrats to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! I like your use of bold and the pacing of your story. I felt like I was in the room with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heart touching mother story. Are we ever ready for the kids growing up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way your mama's heart responded. "Hey, I'll have an answer." And he'll move forward b/c you've paved the way and have been there. Get ready, mama, someone is ready to fly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the banter between you and your son. I bet that won't change even when he's in the 'real world'. You'll be ready, I think he will be, too! Poignant slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done well momma - be proud and cherish this moment. he needs you still and wants your help and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exciting! It's a wonderful validation when our kids reach out for advice or help. I hope it pans out for him!

    ReplyDelete