Saturday, August 9, 2014

Celebrate Good Times, Come On!


Each Saturday  Ruth Ayres invites us to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week. Looking for celebrations has certainly improved my outlook on my week.  For that, I am certainly grateful to Ruth and to all of you who choose to celebrate with me.

Thursday was our first day of school.  It was my first day as a 6th grade teacher.  It was my first day at a new school.  I don't know who was more nervous, me or my students.

With new beginnings, sometimes comes doubt, fear, and hesitation.  I have felt all three this week.  I am still learning how to combine a 90 reading block and an additional writing block into a 48 minute period.  I want to teach the way I have always taught, and I am just not sure how that looks just yet.  How do I incorporate my ideas and philosophy into a new setting?  How do I not step on toes, yet stay true to what I believe?  How do I celebrate reading and writing with 6th graders?

It will be a year of trial and tribulation, but I am ready to find the answers and celebrate the journey.

Have a great week and I hope you find many things to celebrate!

11 comments:

  1. Welcome Back to school!!! Changing schools, grades...it's so scary. Your post brought me back to my first day in sixth grade. I was terrified. I know you'll be an amazing sixth grade teacher!!! I love how you have so many questions. Let them guide your year. I know in June I'll be reading a post with lots of answers. Enjoy this journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your school looks awesome, Leigh Anne. I hope it was a good start for you! I wonder if you've read Penny Kittle's Write Beside Them? Her work may fit what you want to do-so many ideas for the way she fits everything into the time. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful school! I know you've been preparing for this all summer. I'm sure by October many of your questions will have been answered and you'll be fully invested in the day to day activities 6th grade brings you! I can't wait to see your journey this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The start of a new school year is always filled with fears and hesitations but add a new school and new grade and I can understand how you must be feeling. But I love that you have turned these doubts and fears as things to celebrate - and I believe that this is what will make your year rewarding and successful. Your students are very fortunate, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you are ready to celebrate the journey! Great things are going to happen! Your students are blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to reading about your journey on your blog! Can't believe the school year already started for you! 48 minute periods seem awfully short. Don't understand why we continue to parcel up the school day in these unreasonable ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Leigh Anne! So excited to hear about your journey. Ready to learn alongside you. We start on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand how you are feeling. I hope you are able to do all you want to, but relax and give yourself a little slack. It will not be perfect the first year. I look forward to hearing more about this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a building! I am sure it is going to be a very exciting year! Best of luck - and remember your twitter/blogging friends are just a few clicks away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful school you teach at! Good luck with your new schedule. I know it will all work out for you in time. Be patient with yourself! :)

    Jennifer
    Sweet Writing Life
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're entering the world of sixth grade just as I stepped out. You will love 6th graders! Love your new school. You might want to take a look at my Sweet Summer Reads blog. I create it for my students to keep in touch with them during the summer (not much keeping in touch this summer). There are some great links for books that you might want to use. Happy new beginning and here's to finding answers to your questions.

    ReplyDelete