Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Year in Books

I will always remember 2014 as the year my reading life changed.  I have always been a reader, but this year was different.  After being introduced to Donalyn Miller, Colby Sharp, Mr. Schu and many others on Twitter, I think you can understand why.

Reading books the year they were published was never a priority for me.  But this year, I was determined to read the Newbery before the awards this winter.  I have never done this.  Heck, I never really paid much attention to when they were published.  I just read books that were in Scholastic or that I found at our library. Being on Twitter made me want to read them this year.  It became an obsession.  I guess book obsession makes me an official member of The Nerdy Book Club!

This year I read 32 middle grade novels published in 2014.  And yes, I think I have read the Newbery winner.  Here are my top picks in no particular order with the exception of this first one.

My first novel of 2014 was A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd.


I love this book!  If you could open my heart, you would still see lines etched from this book.  In my opinion, this book is just as deserving and beautifully written as others that are being discussed as Newbery worthy.  

"Lonely," I said.  "I see it all the time, mostly in school and in church and in malls and driving down the road.  Always the places where the most people are.  Isn't that weird?"

I never wanted to forget all the ways we were connected that day:  By our shadows and sunlight.  By pounding hearts and a starry maybe.

"Forgetting people you love is impossible.  It'd be like forgetting how to breathe."

I once referred the reading of this book to a first kiss.  It was magical, and one I will never forget.  I remember the time, the place and the stirring in my heart as I read it.

Now the rest of my top picks in no particular order.


The Junction of Sunshine and Lucky by Holly Schindler
Auggie is a spunky character I won't soon forget.


Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord
This book reminds me of my grandma - enough said without spoiling the story!



The Riverman by Aaron Starmer
This book left me with more questions than answers.  
I can't wait for The Whisper on March 17th.


Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
Simply beautiful.


Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere by Julie T. Lamana
Heartfiction - my favorite genre


The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson
For someone who doesn't like fantasy, I was enthralled with this book.


Crossover by Kwane Alexander
I love when books have a moment where you 
stop breathing and become part of the story.  
This book had one of those moments for me.


Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
Heartfiction, again my favorite genre, with an important story.

I still have several other books I need to read before the awards are announced.  The year 2014 was a great year for middle grade literature.  From what I am hearing from that list of people in the beginning of my post, 2015 looks like it will be another great year of reading.

Happy New Year and as always - Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. My vote is Snicker of Magic! We have the same feelings about it. Plus Natalie Lloyd is just the most spindiddly person ever! I want her to be my BFF! Sadly, I haven't read any of the other books, but I have Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete