|Two Writing Teachers|
I did not get much of a response, but most of the responses I did receive were from the teachers who are in our small Bible Study Group which meets every Tuesday morning. I shouldn't have been surprised! Many times this group keeps me going throughout the day, or sometimes even the week, with their support, encouragement, and positive attitudes.
Today, I write a letter to them, thanking them for their dedication, their inspiration, and simply for just being the positive people who I am blessed to be around each day.
My Dear Colleague,
Being a teacher in today's world is definitely a challenge. I am sure many of you have asked yourself why do I stay? How can I continue at this pace? Why do I teach?
Today, I hope to give you an answer.
You teach because you believe in the power of a smile. At the end of the day, I see you with a smile on your face even after...
- you were late for school because you changed what you were going to wear five times and you still thought it wasn't right,
- your own children were bears on the way out of the house,
- you changed your lesson plans at the last minute,
- you went to the copy machine and it was broke again...or there was no toner...or paper,
- your objectives weren't in the right place...or the right size...or the right color,
- and you got evaluated for the second time this month!
You teach because you believe each child can learn - no matter their ability. You always strive to get them to the next step, to make progress...even those who cannot write their name, read at grade level or get through the day without throwing a fit...or a chair.
You teach because you have a big heart. You understand each child and the problems they face at home. You give them a place to feel safe and to be loved. A place with you, a place where those problems do not exist.
You teach because you believe in children. To you, every child matters.
You give them confidence
to try something new,
to not be afraid to try again,
to have dreams,
to reach goals they never thought were possible.
You teach NOT because you choose to, but because you were chosen...and that my friend makes all the difference.
Thank you for being my colleague,