Saturday, January 11, 2014

Celebrate Good Times, Come On! - 1/11


Each Saturday  Ruth Ayres invites us to share and celebrate events from our week. Looking for small celebrations has certainly improved my outlook on my week. For that, I am certainly grateful to Ruth and to all of you who choose to celebrate with us.

With all of the snow days and schedules a mess, it feels like it has been a month since last Saturday.  

Yesterday, as I sat down to write this post, celebration ideas were not coming.  Usually, I can think of many celebrations but yesterday...nothing!  

Oh, I had the usual - snow days, baking, reading, writing, tweeting, and spending time with family.  While these are great celebrations, they had turned into the mundane, the new normal.  It seemed I had been celebrating those things all month!

I think our three snow days after Christmas had me stuck on the spin cycle.  Stuck in the house with no routine, just spinning through the days.  Some days, I didn't even know what day it was.

Thursday and Friday we had two hour delays both days.  The delays made returning to school a little bit easier.  But, nothing really was accomplished other than trying to reign in the kids and get them focused on school while slowly easing our way into our routine.

Then I thought - that's it!  That is my celebration!  ROUTINE!  I need to get back to school, get back to the point where my daily life has some structure and routine.  A day where I go to bed before midnight and get dressed before noon.  A day where I eat just three meals a day and not all day long.  A day where the lesson plans I spent so much time doing actually are implemented.  A day where I thrive in its routine.

Yes, the extended vacation was wonderful, but today I celebrate getting back into a routine!  When the alarm goes off at its regular time on Monday, I will probably grumble, but I will be ready for that routine. I know my own kids and my students are ready.  How about you?

Have a great week and may you blessed with many things to celebrate!





13 comments:

  1. Yes, it was lovely to return to the routine, and I know the students loved it too. Going back with your delays probably made everything a little harder, Leigh Anne, start/stop & start/stop. Now, until the next storm, it should be smoother sailing, right? Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never underestimate the importance and power of a routine - both at school and in everyday life (like exercising, cleaning and writing.) I'll get back to school routine next week. I have to work better with home routines. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand. I particularly like your reference to a "spin cycle." I thrive in routine. I think I'd get lost otherwise. I hope your weather lets up and things become more routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Routine does seem to give our days structure and meaning. Being retired (sort of ) does make it hard to know what day it is. I also do better when there is some form of routine in the week. Looks like next week will be a good week weather-wise to get back into the routine. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So can so relate to your fondness for routine. After 3 unexpected additional days off, I was so ready for my hectic, crazy, busy routine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't have snow in the PNW but routine was in my celebrations. Here's to a great next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as we crave long lazy days, routine is where we produce best work. I think our students need structure too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Routine! I need to remember that this coming week as I feel that I need to get back to the routine as well. Thanks for celebrating and reminding me (and maybe a few others) about the importance of routine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that it is nice to have a routine. We were off Monday through Thursday here. Somedays I had no idea what day of the week it was. I loved the extra time off too, but there is something nice about normal. The kids were off (behavior wise) when they returned, but I guess that is given having had so much time away. I hope you have a great week getting back to your routines.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Routine definitely feels good when you out of it for awhile! Sometimes the ordinary day is the best day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, I nominate YOU for the Sunshine Award. :-) http://hollymueller.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun word to celebrate! We had school five days last week, after getting a snow day on Friday before winter break. It was hard to go back, but the routine is good. I love a good PJ day, but a constant diet of it takes away the fun. Here's to a routine-filled week with no snow days for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leigh Anne,
    I love this image: "I think our three snow days after Christmas had me stuck on the spin cycle. Stuck in the house with no routine, just spinning through the days."

    I appreciate how you sought a celebration and rejoiced when you found it. Thank you for taking the time to share.
    Shine on,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete