Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Happy Kind of Exhausted


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for creating a place to share our Slice of Life. Read more slices or add you own here.

It is Monday night and I am exhausted.  It could be because it was a long day at school, ending with an open house.  It could be because I am trying to function on about five hours of sleep.  And no, I do not have a newborn or sick kids and no, I am not sick myself.

I am exhausted because I stayed up reading a book.  It has been so long since I have done this, and I have missed my midnight rendezvous.  It seems reading and writing has taken a back seat since school started.  So, yes, I am exhausted, but it is a happy kind of exhausted.  The kind I can only get from staying up late reading.  

I explained to my students why I was so tired.

"I stayed up until after midnight reading this new book."

"You did that for fun?!"

"Absolutely!"

I was lost in the book and was in the zone where time just seemed to stand still and the world stopped.  Before I knew it, the clock was turning past 12:00 and my husband was rolling over with a groan. But I kept on reading.

What book captivated my attention and stole my sleep?
  

This is such a gripping story of Hurricane Katrina and the destruction it caused in the lives of its residents.  This story took me down to the Lower Nines of New Orleans to watch those flood waters rush into their lives, taking with it everything Armani owned.  This book has been on several Newbery prediction lists, and I am confident it belongs there.   

I am not finished with the book yet, but it is great to be exhausted again.

12 comments:

  1. Loved this book Leigh Ann.I read it this summer. I had two of my most thoughtful readers read this after reading Lauren Tarshis's I Survived book on Hurricane Katrina.
    Fun when you have a book that keeps you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read. I'll have to get it.

    Lisa
    LisaTeachR'sClassroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best kind of exhaustion to have. There should be a badge "Tired because I stayed up reading."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, & hope you find another one like that, but not too soon! We have this in our library, but still haven't gotten to it. Now I'll move it up the list, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book, too, Leigh Anne. Armani was a wonderful character to be with;the story brought back the devastation of Katrina, and the way people came together to help each other out. Books like this are made to be read the way you read this one...now, get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! It has been a while since I have read more than 10 pages of a book and not fallen asleep. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're catching up on your sleep! That book is in my TBR pile and has been snatched up by a student. Love the idea of staying up to read a book, but I can't help but fall asleep. Love that you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful to get so caught up in a book that time just slips away. I have done it a few times myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when a book is so captivating that you just can't put it down. I'll have to add this one to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to share with students that a book can override your plan for sleep. I love when my daughters see the rest of my life suffer because I am in the middle of a good book. I'll have to move this one up on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great read. I love when I find books like that! Adding it to my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting lost in a book is refreshing even when I am tired the next day. Your book sounds wonderful. It is now on my list to get as well!

    ReplyDelete