Monday, May 4, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 5/4


Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers cohost It's Monday! What Are You Reading?  Be sure and stop by to participate or see what others are reading and recommending this week.

It has been such a long time since I have written a IMWAYR post.  I need to start making this a habit.

Last week I finished up the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer Nielsen.  I read all three books in less than a month, but I don't know what took me so long to get started!



These three books take the reader on a journey filled with adventure, danger, trickery and even love.  The plot is full of unexpected twists and turns and by the end, comes full circle.  Jennifer Nielsen is a masterful storyteller.

I typically am not a fan of fantasy, but I absolutely devoured The False Prince.  Then, I couldn't wait to read the other two.  One good thing about reading an entire series after they are published, is that I don't have to wait for the next one to come out.  I loved this trilogy and have already started recommending it to my students.

This week on my reading radar:




Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I am a little envious that you were able to read through the entire Ascendance Trilogy back-to-back. I remember the impossible anticipation of waiting for each book to come next! These have found their way to the hands of many happy readers in my hallways, too. I hope you enjoy A Handful of Stars--as with all Cynthia Lord's books, there is such beautiful language and expression of emotion waiting in there for you. Twinkie Pie is one I am looking forward to myself! What happy titles you are featuring this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is yet another series where I read the first book, liked it, bought the rest intending to read the whole series, and then... didn't. And now I barely remember what happened in book 1 and worry that I'd have to reread it before moving on... so I don't. Have you read Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief? Lots of parallels, for me, with False Prince but even better! And a new Cynthia Lord?! I'm so excited! This wasn't on my radar yet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and I both loved The Ascendance Trilogy. The characters are so memorable. We stayed up late several nights just to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the first book in the Ascendance series, but wasn't so enamoured with the rest. Both of these other books have been getting good press. in my opinion, Cynthia Lord can do no wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheriee, I was going to write basically the exact same comment. I burned through all three books this past summer, and I think that if I had read the first and had to wait for the second and then the third, I would have been even more disappointed in them. The first book was incredibly crafted, but then the next two were so many both predicable and dumb decisions, I thought.

      Delete
  5. Hi there Leigh Anne - I read the entire trilogy last year when we had a royalty-blueblooded reading theme. It was quite an engaging read - not my favourite series, but I could see a few kids that will gravitate towards the story.

    ReplyDelete