Saturday, June 20, 2015

Celebrate Turn #19


Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week.  

This week I celebrate Summer PD.

Last year I attended All Write for the first time.  My colleague and friend, Kristen, went with me last year, and a few other teachers from our district came with us this year.  

Here we are with Seymour Simon.
Thanks Elsie for taking the picture!

This conference is quickly becoming one of the highlights of my summer, and is the foundation for the remainder of my summer PD.  I come back recharged and ready to change my teaching for the better. 

These past two days, I sat in sessions writing furiously, taking pictures of presenters' slides, and trying to absorb as much information as possible.  At the end of the day, I went back to my room, and Kristen and I debriefed and shared our learning.  I don't know which grew more, my books-to-buy list or my enthusiasm.  

Today, I sat on my porch and lingered over my notes.  I tried to wrap my brain around all I learned and all I want to do in my classroom this year.  I created lists...and lists of new ideas about book clubs, writing about reading, teaching punctuation and so much more.

This is what I do over the summer.  Summer PD fuels me; it motivates me; it helps me become a better teacher.  I think my students deserve that.

So today, I celebrate  summer PD!

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to celebrate! I've really got to make it to All Write next year. So many teachers I learn so much from online attend, and I know I would get a lot out of the presentations too. I'd love to get a peek at your lists!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Anne, This sounds AMAZING! That's it. I MUST attend All Write next year. Can't wait to hear more specifics about the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Michelle, I MUST attend All Write next year. I've always wanted to go, but I've never been able. It sounds like such a great conference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to these events with a friend strengthens the learning and highlights the experience. Talking, reflecting, bouncing ideas makes the ideas stick better. I am happy for your opportunity to attend All Write

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh Anne, we grow as learners through each new interaction with literary luminaries and colleagues. That is the power of learning. I am so glad that you enjoyed your conference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems each year I read more and more about the great things happening at All Write. I need to put it on my list for next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing days and so much learning! Truly a highlight of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh Anne, I was happy to meet you in person and share a session together! I hope you'll post about the punctuation session because I didn't get to that one.

    ReplyDelete