Saturday, June 13, 2015

Celebrate Turn #18


Each week Ruth Ayres extends an invitation to share and celebrate events, big or small, from our week.  

This was the BEST week of summer...so far!  So many great events to celebrate, but I will start with family first.


Ethan's last stroke as a high school golfer was a tap-in.
My son finished his high school golf career at regionals this week.  Although the team did not advance, he played his best round of the season.  And on the same course where he made his hole-in-one!  So proud that he saved his best for his last match.  I have been watching him play since he was eight years old, and I will miss following him and that little white ball. 







My daughter passed her last two tests for her teaching license this week.  Plus, she will be hired Monday, pending board approval, as a third grade teacher!  I can't wait to start having teaching conversations with her and help her get her classroom ready!







Here we are with Margaret using an
image to create a collaborative poem
before she sent them to write their own.

I spent this past week writing poetry with high ability students at our SPARK camp.  One day we Skyped with Margaret Simon where we wrote haiku poems using mentor texts from Linda Baie.  In one little room in southern Indiana, my students had three teachers from three different states teaching them about poetry!  Collaboration at its best!  

Read her post about our visit here. 


On Thursday, my older group Skyped with Laura Purdie Salas.  Prior to her visit, I used the lesson about writing word play poems from her website.  The students were able to share some of their work with her, as well as learn about her writing life.   You can read my post about both visits and read my students' poems here.     




And then next week, I travel to Warsaw, Indiana for more summer learning at the All Write Summer Conference, catching up with some blogging friends, and meeting some other bloggers in person for the first time.  Another great week ahead for me!

I hope you have a great week and find many celebrations along the way!

13 comments:

  1. What fantastic celebrations you have this week, Leigh Anne! Congratulations to both your son and daughter for their amazing weeks as well. How exciting is it that your daughter has been hired already?? I'm sure she will be a great teacher as she follows in the footsteps of her mom! Looking forward to meeting you at All Write next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exciting week indeed. And isnt't it wonderful that the BEST will be followed with another wonderful week? I look forward to reading about AllWrite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your kids! What an amazing week of accomplishments especially bringing together all the authors to celebrate poetry. Tweet away at AllWrite for me I will be following from OH this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your son and your daughter Leigh Anne-changes, changes for your family. How wonderful that you get to talk teaching with your daughter! Can't wait to see you at All-Write. I am so ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the poetry writing experiences you brought to these kids! And congratulations to your daughter! How very exciting. And to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! A great week of celebrations! Congratulations to both your son and daughter for their achievements! How wonderful to be able to have "teacher" conversations with your daughter. I LOVED your poetry Friday post - amazing lessons and collaborative writing through Skype! Thanks so much for sharing! Your students are extremely fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to finally meet in person this week ;)
    I saw one of your tweets this week about your daughter's new position - is it in your school district?
    Looks like it was a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great moments to celebrate! Sometimes you just have to pinch yourself to make it real. See you so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to be a part of your celebration today. I think I'll write about it again tomorrow for DigiLit Sunday. How's that for milking the hour for blog posts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to your daughter and your son!! Woo Hoo!! I love all of the Skyping you've been doing with your students. It sounds amazing! I so wish I was going to All Write. Have lots of fun and Tweet/Blog about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful celebrations this week! I am going to All Write also. I hope I will be able to meet you in person while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leigh Anne, what a fabulous week of writing experiences you had. You and your students wrote alongside three of my favorite Twitter friends and writers: Margaret, Linda, and Laura (of which two I have met F2F). It is wonderful news that you are sharing about your family. Congratulations to them. Thank you for being a part of the Spring Symphony Gallery that was another accomplishment of your week. Enjoy All-Write.

    ReplyDelete