Wednesday, December 23, 2015

In From the Porch


Have you ever had a student who you thought hated school?  I have one.  I believed she hated school and anyone or anything associated with it.

But those beliefs all changed last Friday.


It was the end of the period on our last day before Christmas Break.   My co-teacher and I were wishing our students a Merry Christmas and a happy break.  


H said, "Well I won't."


This comment did not surprise me because of her negative attitude and her general demeanor toward school.  When my co-teacher asked her about it, she replied, "I don't want to be on break.  I don't want to go home."


I was astounded and speechless.  I know that not all of our students have happy homes, and that school is the best part of their day.  But I certainly did not expect this from H.  I assumed school was the last place where she wanted to be.


How could I be so wrong about a student?


One day last week, I was playing around with book titles to create haiku for my December challenge, and I created this one.  Now, it makes me wonder about H and the many other students who are just like her.




the boy on the porch
I'm not who you think I am
bloomability

How many of our students stand on the porch of our classrooms waiting to come in?  


Waiting for us to see who they really are?  


Waiting for the chance to bloom?


When we return to school in January, I know I will see H in a different way.  I will look for her bloomability.  I have to believe it is hidden deep somewhere inside her, and it is up to me to invite her in from the porch.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This was a powerful thing to learn about your student. I love the metaphor you found in your poem -- inviting her in from the porch to discover her bloomability!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can make her bloom, you will Leigh Anne because of your nurturing nature. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete