Tuesday, April 4, 2023

My Teaching Life's Chapter Titles

I have been reading Inkwell:  Simple Writing Practices to Restore Your Soul by Anne Elrod Whitney. She writes and explains how writing practices can be a powerful tool to spiritual self-care. 

Although the book has you write about God's presence in your life, she clearly explains that "this book is for people of any faith, including people of no faith."

I am finding that it really is about self-reflection and looking deeper into the stories that surround us and the stories from which we are 
made.

One of the writing exercises is to imagine your life as a book with chapters. What would be the chapters be so far and what would be the title of each chapter? Create a table of contents by looking at your life as a series of stories and name the chapter titles.

Since I almost 60, I didn't want to write my life titles (that would be too daunting!). I thought I would try writing titles about my teaching life stories along with a one-sentence summary. These are like mini-slices and have the potential to become full ones.

  1. You Mean I Have to Follow a Basal--My first year I taught 5th grade reading with a basal, and my students and I hated every minute of it.
  2. The Book Whisperer--I read Donalyn Miller's book and my teaching life was changed forever.
  3. All By Myself--I became one of those teachers who didn't do what everyone else did, which can be very lonely at times.
  4. Disillusioned by Administration--I found out my principal, whom I respected and loved working for, made some bad decisions that negatively impacted our entire school and eventually was the reason why I left.
  5. A New Home--I became a middle school ELA teacher and have never regretted making this move. 
  6. You Believe in Me--My new principal was a teacher I worked with my first year of teaching, and he and the assistant principal still support my growth as a teacher.
  7. Still Learning--I began presenting at conferences and joined online professional learning communities, and my teaching life changed once again.

Anne writes the next part is the hardest:  What might the next chapters be? And she is right. Being almost 60, I am beginning to wonder where I'm headed in my own teaching life. I still enjoy learning alongside my students and colleagues, but I know a stigma surrounds older teachers, especially in the eyes of students.

I brainstormed a list of next chapters, and these chapters weigh heavily on my mind.

  • Do I Still Have It
  • Still Lovin' It
  • Reading, Writing, and Retirement
This exercise has been a deep reflection, and I want to think about this idea in my personal life. I hope you give it a try and let me know your life's chapter titles.

After participating in the Slice of Life March Challenge by Two Writing Teachers, I am continuing to write my stories with other teacher-writers as we share a slice of life on Tuesdays.

7 comments:

  1. (This could be a duplicate… having trouble getting comments to publish)
    Read, Write, and Retirement is a pretty good chapter. But nearly a year in, not sure if I have found my true title for this chapter. Right now, maybe it’s Reading and Writing but NO Testing as I go back to school a few hours a week to work with ENL newcomers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh Anne thanks for sharing this exercise and book. Whilst I was reading your chapter titles I kept thinking about what mine would be for work and my personal life. I also dwell on my life in the future. I guess it is better to have these thoughts sooner than later. I've ordered the book. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh Anne, I connected to many of your chapters. I want you to know that you inspire me every time we write together. You are a mentor to all teachers. This is a great exercise I hope to be brave enough to tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--this does seem like such an interesting way to reflect and also think ahead. That question about the next chapters feels huge. Thank you for sharing your chapters (it's so fun to read other teaching journeys--chapter 3 resonated with me, especially--and your later chapters gave me hope!) and your reflection on this process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of breaking down your life into chapters is an interesting concept. I agree that life titles at this age would be daunting (I am 70+). If I were doing this I would pick the chapters of life post retirement. I think this kind of self-reflection would be an interesting tool to use in any classroom or workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fascinating idea, and definitely one that can be done by people of any or no faith. It is hard to envision the next chapters, which I imagine is part of the point of the exercise. I have plenty of "D I Still Have It" days, but look forward to my version of the chapter called "Reading, Writing, and Retirement" some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea for a post and the twist you've made by focusing on your teaching titles. At the end of my first year teaching high school, I read Nancie Atwell's In the Middle and was forever changed. (The Book Whisperer was very influential too!)

    ReplyDelete