Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Final Turn


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for creating a place to share our Slice of Life.  Read more slices or add you own here.

With just two days left in 2015, it means it is time to reflect on my one little word.  I have quickly learned how hard it is to say goodbye to my one little words.  I jokingly tweeted the other night that choosing a word was as serious as naming your children because so much time and effort is put into searching, thinking, and choosing these words which guide us through the year.

I knew 2015 would be a year of changes and challenges, or what I have referred to as life turns, and boy was I right!  We have had detours and roadblocks along the way, but we have become stronger as my family and I took the scenic route.

The year started out with my husband taking a detour and "trying out" retirement.  We often wondered why things turned out the way they did, but we eventually found our answer.  My son, who was a senior at the time, would be playing his final season of golf.  He has played for about 10 years and my husband missed many of those matches because of his job.  This year he got to not only see Ethan finish his final season, his final hole, but also got to see him make his first hole in one! 

Ethan graduated from high school in May.  He is still searching for a major and trying to find his way, but he made it through his first semester at our local college.  

Megan graduated from college and started her first year of teaching.  That has been a life turn I have written quite a bit about this year.  It has been a bumpy ride, but I think she is going to make it!

Because my life as a parent turned in new directions, I was able to take some time for me; it became my turn. I still have some things I want to do personally and professionally, but these things lead me perfectly to my one little word for 2016.

As I say goodbye to 2015 and make the final turn of the calendar page, I am grateful for the turns my life took, and I look forward to what 2016 brings.

Happy New Year!

11 comments:

  1. It all sounds like a good year, ups and downs and "turn"ings, but one great thing is that it became time for you, too. Wondering what that next word will be? Happy New Year, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post! I love that your OLW was turn--and things turned out just as they were supposed to! Best wishes on a wonderful 2016 and whatever its OLW turns out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you turn away from 2015, I hope that 2016 brings wonderful things for you and your family. Happy (almost) new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the word Turn. Our oldest graduates this May and I know the next year will be full of changes but choosing that as my word freaks my little planning heart right out. Turn is a much less jarring way of saying Change. :-) Still deciding on my word for the new year. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The words have odd power. I am curious to find out what your new word will be. I am curious to hear all the different new words people choose for 2016. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny that you said that choosing our OLW is just like naming our children because I was just thinking the same thing the other day! :) We want to be sure to choose just the right word, but it always seems that the perfect word chooses us in the end. I'm looking forward to hearing of your OLW for 2016. Happy new year, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since we can't see around a turn we never know what adventure is there waiting for us. Sounds like your family has had some exciting turns during 2015. Happy New Year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to reconnect with you. What an adventure you had in 2015. I look forward to reading about your OLW for 2016. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right! Choosing a OLW is like naming a child. I'm still thinking on mine. I think i've got it but... still thinking.

    Turn was a perfect word for you. I remember you choosing it and have thought a lot about the power of that word. I'm kind of at a similar point in life right now and have considered turn for my OLW.

    Still thinking about mine; can't wait to find out yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, feel like I've been trying to name a child. Started out with a long list, defined the terms, looked at why I chose each word, and prayed to find the right word. I, too, am looking forward to the turn. Here's hoping that 2016 brings you great things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turning into 2016 with new thoughts, new directions, and a brand new word.

    ReplyDelete