Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Big Heart


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for creating a place to share our Slice of Life.  Read more slices or add you own here.


I, along with many other teachers, have often expressed our gratitude for Two Writing Teachers and this community.  Last week my gratitude was lifted to a new level.

This year I wanted to start book clubs with my students as a different way to keep reading as a social event.  But in order to have book clubs for 100 students, I needed books.  Many of my fellow teachers have had projects funded through Donors Choose, so I looked into this as a way of acquiring funds to support this endeavor.  

Two weeks ago I submitted my first project for Donors Choose.  They suggested posting the project on social media, specifically Facebook.  I am not on Facebook, so I tweeted the link and wrote a short blog post explaining the details.

A few days later, I noticed a comment on the post.  It was from a fellow slicer asking about how to make a donation.  I sent her the information and it wasn't long after that I received an email that the remainder of my project was completely funded.

Bernadette from Haddon Musings, who I only know from sharing our slices on Tuesdays and our celebrations on Saturdays, opened her heart to my students.  Here is what she said,

"When I was a child, books opened up a world that wasn't known to me or available to me. Books fed my mind, gave me hope, and saved my life. But the ownership of a book was a rare treat. I hope your children aren't as in need as I was but it sounds like ownership of a book is still a treat to them. Enjoy."

Needless to say, my heart is full.  Bernadette does not know me personally.  She only knows me through our shared words from our own little corners of the world.  Because of her generosity, I now have 36 books making their way to my classroom and into the hands of my students.  I cannot wait to share this story with them.

Thank you, Bernadette!

Since my first project was funded so quickly and since it is that giving time of year, it was suggested that I start another project.  Here is the link to part two of my book club project.  

Bloggers note:  Since posting this slice I have had other slicers donate to my project.  I am so grateful for the support my students are receiving from my blogging friends.  Please know, my intention for writing this post was to share the amazing rewards of being a part of this community.  My heart continues to be filled ~ thank you!

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely story! Kudos to Bernadette for sharing book love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angels surround us and sometimes we get to find out who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Books fed my mind, gave me hope, and saved my life," such powerful words from Bernadette! So glad I met you in person, Leigh Anne, because I can see your smile (and those dimples) all the way to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed a special community. How special that your Donors Choose was funded by someone you knew from the SOL group. Happy reading to all your students, Leigh Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just goes to show that angels are all around us and there when we need them. How wonderful that your angel is a slicer. May your students find many hours of pleasure in their new books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The power of our writing community! What a lovely story to share with us, Leigh Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredible! What a kind gesture from Bernadette. This really speaks to the power of our writing community, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears in my eyes as I read this story! Bernadette inspires me to help too! I missed the other post and I feel awful, but I'm so grateful I can help this time. I'm so excited that your students are getting books!! YAY!!! I'm going to share far and wide!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an important message to your students about the power of the written word! We can use our words to make change, inspire and solve problems. It is wonderful they are a part of it -- I wonder if it will inspire them to use words to make a change in the world.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great gift! There really are lots of nice people in the Slicing community!

    ReplyDelete