Wednesday, December 9, 2015

What Has Twitter Done for Me Lately?

I love Twitter, although many of my colleagues have yet to find its worthiness.  I have tried to start Twitter chats in my district, and only a few teachers participate.  I talk about Twitter and how important being a connected educator can be.  But they just don't see it.

I am often asked about my take-aways from Twitter.  Some teachers think it is all technology related, while others think it is a waste of time.  But Twitter is so much more than that.

I know that I am a better teacher because of Twitter and the PLN I have established.  Twitter is full of golden tweets.  Sometimes it is just a simple quote that makes me smile or think about something in a different way.  Other times it is an idea, a lesson, or information on something I want to do in my classroom.

Many times when I am asked about Twitter, I am unable to quickly recall something I have taken away from tweets or links from tweets.  Curating the information from Twitter will allow me to show my colleagues just how valuable Twitter can be.

This Week's Twitter Take-aways

Readers' Notebooks

I want to do more with writing about reading with my students, as well as with my own reading.  This week Clare and Tammy from Teachers for Teachers wrote a post about using a virtual mentor text using the strategy of "lifting a line" which is from Notebook Connections by Aimee Buckner.  They took their thoughts from their notebook and "wrote long" or in this case, wrote a blog post.  Click here to learn how they a created virtual mentor text for reading notebooks.

Big idea notes from the notebook of Clare and Tammy at Teachers for Teachers.

Highlighting their big ideas in their blog post.

Reading Levels

I am always looking for ammunition to use against "living by levels alone."  This picture taken by Travis Jonker from 100 Scope Notes only solidifies my beliefs that levels are only a number...and many times not an accurate one.


Assessment

It is important for me to reflect on my assessment and grading practices.  I know I need to improve in this area, and reading about these two areas only helps me to become a better teacher. This is a quote I found on an assessment post by Erin Murphy at Murphy's Musings.


Independent Reading

Because I am an advocate for independent reading, I am always looking for articles and posts to read about this topic.  This week the International Literacy Association had an article by Deborah Hollimon about independent reading.

"There really is a proven formula which, when practiced with fidelity, consistently produces lifelong readers. I call this four-part formula the ACTS of Reading:  Access, Choice, Time and Socialize."

I have given two presentations on motivating and creating lifelong readers, and reading this article motivates me to keep advocating for independent reading in our classrooms. 


A Little Laugh



That wraps up my week on Twitter!  What has Twitter done for you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment