Friday, March 3, 2023

A Losing Battle #SOL23


Today, I lost a battle. Again. A battle with the Tupperware cabinet. I am not even sure why we still call it Tupperware because I am sure I haven’t owned a piece of Tupperware in the last 25 years. But the Rubbermaid cabinet just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

When I open the door of the cabinet, I have my hands up, ready to fight. I open the door carefully because I know the lids and containers are strewn every which way, and I anticipate them striking first.

My family members are traitors; they help the enemy by throwing the plastic pieces haphazardly like they were throwing candy in a parade. I have drawn a line in the sand by labeling the shelves with “circle” and “rectangle” expecting them to place the items on the correct shelf, but they continue to sabotage me. 

No matter how hard I strategize to conquer the enemy, they outmaneuver me. When I have lots of leftovers and need a large container, I only have small ones. When I need small ones to pack my lunch, I only have large ones. And I consider myself lucky when I win a round of “who can find the lid.”

This morning, as I was fixing my lunch for school, I waved the white flag. I surrendered and took my 1/2 cup of taco meat in quart container and threw my shredded cheddar cheese in a baggie because I couldn’t find a simple lid.

Surely, I am not the only one who loses the battle with the Tupperware cabinet. 

 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

15 comments:

  1. I love this- you "have your hands up, ready to fight" and that they "continue to sabotage me". I can't believe you even tried labeling- impressive! You describe your battle wonderfully and like you said, sometimes they prevail and you grab the baggie instead.
    The photo adds to your plight- thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a relatable post! We've complicated our "Tupperware cabinet" with Pyrex storage, too...so trying to stack the plastic on top of the glass is a feat in itself. We did somewhat solve the lid problem by installing one of those coated wire rolling drawers on each shelf, one for larger lids and one for smaller lids and those tiny containers that always got lost in the back of the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so connected to your slice. A little thing that I’m the moment always feels big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The struggle is real and more difficult when saboteurs get involved. Occasionally we take all the kids and containers and find their mates. We abandon those w/ no mate. We keep the lids in a container under the sink and in a drawer. This has made the struggle more manageable. Love the candy in a parade comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha; I love this! It drives me crazy that no one in my house but me organizes the plastic containers! And just like you, every time I open the cabinet door I'm afraid of what I will find, and yes, I always find a big pile of containers that are not neatly stacked one inside of the other and the lids, just like yours are floating endlessly like they were just hit by some crazy turbulence. Hang in there, wishing you a win in your battle of the 'Tupperware'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how entertaining you made this battle even if it makes you feel annoyed. I believe that in most households there is a container without a lid and a sock without a partner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh as I read about your battle. I have fought it many times. I switched to glass containers a couple of years ago, when I retired, and it has helped win the war.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing at the candy at the parade and the hands up to fight....oh, this is so real. I'm pretty sure every reader can relate to these moments. Your similes are spot on. Same with socks - - I have a throwaway party in my closet every little while. I need to do the same thing in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me giggle, especially this, "When I open the door of the cabinet, I have my hands up, ready to fight. I open the door carefully because I know the lids and containers are strewn every which way, and I anticipate them striking first." My cupboard full of Tupperware (and other containers) is a disaster. I always open it with care, as I don't know what will fly out at me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not alone. It used to drive my own children crazy that we never seemed to have lids for our bottoms! I am doing better in my living alone stage of life; however, it is still a struggle and stragglers seem to sneak into my drawer when I am not looking! Gladware (cheaper than Rubbermaid) makes me feel less guilty when I send it to recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I stand side by side with you in this battle. I too am defeated way to often by my Tupperware drawer. I have fully surrendered and my husband is now the general in charge of our war against this relentless foe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cracked me up! I am definitely guilty of cheese in a bag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to giggle at this. Can totally relate! Great, light hearted slice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was definitely laughing and deeply relating as I read your post. What is it about the Tupperware cabinet? (I still call it Tupperware too). Every so often, we throw up our hands and buy a new set because we have all lids with no containers. WHERE DO THEY GO?? Thanks for lightening my morning with this fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although it is not a tupperware cupboard, we have a plastic container space that has the same problem. I go through it yearly matching container to lid, yet I can rarely find a matching set easily when I need one.

    ReplyDelete